The Special Daydream Song

The next afternoon

Alberto's POV

Since Luca's gone for the weekend, I decided to visit Riccardo at his house. It's been a couple months since I've been here, and even longer since I've stayed the night. Honestly, now that Luca's back, I didn't expect to get lonely so quickly, especially since I can still see Giulia every day. But Giulia's working today, so I guess it's just me. Well, me and Riccardo.

Right now I'm sprawled on his bed, staring up at his ceiling and the glow-in-the-dark stars that he stuck there. He's on the floor doing a puzzle. Boooring.

"So what made you decide to stop by?" Riccardo asks me after a bit, not looking up from his puzzle.

"Oh. Uh...." I stretch my arms. "Just kinda bored. Luca's at his parents', and well... yeah."

"Oh, okay." He sits up and starts to throw the puzzle pieces back in the box. "Do you want some gelato or something?"

Gelato is literally all he eats. "Nah, I'm fine, but thank you."

Honestly, I am pretty hungry. But it's not like I can eat right now. I've got a lot on my mind. For starters, I'm still mad at Luca for having a crush on someone, but I haven't really said anything about it. I'm just scared he's going to forget about me and travel the world with her or something. Thinking about it now makes my stomach twist. Yeah, if I ate gelato, I'd definitely throw it up.

Not to mention I'm also shaken up from this morning. I woke up before Luca did, and I noticed that....

Well, actually, it doesn't really matter.

My stomach twists again, but it feels a little different. I turn to the side and grab one of Riccardo's pillows, hugging it and grumbling into it.

Why me, fish gods? Seriously, why me?

"What's wrong?" I hear Riccardo ask me.

"Stomach hurts," I half-lie.

"Oh." He pats my back. "Um. I can ask my mom to get you some medicine."

"No, I'm fine." The mention of medicine makes me feel even worse. Blegh. I had to take gross liquid medicine back in the fall, and I actually almost died from the taste.

"Well," he continues. "I know something that'll help that isn't medicine. I'll be right back."

I watch him open his bedroom door and walk out. I let go of the pillow, turning to face the ceiling again. I thought coming here would take my mind off of Luca, but I guess I was wrong. Riccardo's super cool, and he's a really good friend, but he doesn't compare to Luca. No one does.

And I'm only saying that because he's my best friend.

I sigh.

And a few seconds later....

'Why are you lying to yourself?'

Startled, I immediately sit up. My mouth drops open, and I feel my heartbeat quadruple its speed. I slide my hand up my forehead, pushing my curls back.

"Silenzio, Bruno. Silenzio, Bruno," I repeat to myself, my breathing getting really fast.

I try to push the bad thoughts away by thinking of other stuff. And it works.

... For like two seconds.

'You can't run from how gross and weird you are.'

"Shhhh!" I put my hands on the side of my head and shut my eyes. "I said silenzio! Silenzio, Bruno!"