The Biggest Hug in the History of Biggest Hugs

Luca's POV

"Luca, you forgot your lunch!"

Martina hurriedly hands me the paper sack lunch she's prepared for me. Giulia already has hers, and is holding it with her teeth as she buttons my raincoat for me. It's set to rain during the train ride, so I'm looking forward to hanging out the side of the train and feeling my skin turn to scales. Last summer, when I did that, I felt like I was in a movie.

"Thank you, Martina," I say, thankful. I try to look positive, but Martina looks like she's about to tear up. I hope she will be fine without us. I feel so guilty.

"And sweetheart—" she turns Giulia towards her just as she's about to button the last one, "⁠—promise me you won't talk to strangers, and that you'll get some sleep in. This trip is ten hours, remember?" While she lectures Giulia, I fiddle with the button, trying to do it myself. "And make sure you drink all your water, or else you could get dehydrated, which could do dreadful things to your curly hair."

Giulia giggles. "Oh, mamma, you sound just like papà." She takes Martina's hands and kisses the top of one. "I promise I will do all those things. No need to worry, mamma."

"Hm." I tap on Giulia's shoulder, accepting the fact that I can't button this myself. She turns around and does the job quickly. (I'm not jealous.)

Martina wipes her eye with her finger, and fans herself. "Good thing I'm too young for a heart attack," she jokes, trying to lighten the mood.

Then she leans down and takes my face in her hands, squishing my cheeks as she plants a kiss on my nose and forehead. Like every time she kisses me, I start to blush. It's such a strange thing to have a lady who isn't your mother kiss you like she is. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I love Martina.

"Goodbye, sweet Luca. Please listen to Giulia and be extremely extra safe. There could be weirdos out there who still hunt for sea monsters."

I gulp, and wrap my hand around her wrist. "O-okay. I, uh... I promise."

Then we hear the clicking of nails. Nerone has made his way into the kitchen, probably having just awoken from a nap. He's such a good dog, and we've become the best of friends! He likes me and Giulia so much that he's willing to cut time out of his favorite part of the day just to say goodbye to us. I hold out my arms, and he hops up.

"Goodbye, cucciolo. I'll really miss you too." I give him a warm hug and run my fingers against his wiry fur. He licks my face in response, which makes me scrunch up my nose, but I accept it anyway. I'm not used to animals doing that; the fish back home don't even like me holding them. Except for Giuseppe, but that's because he doesn't know what's going on.

I hand him to Giulia then, and she takes him into her arms. Her shoulders slump, and she looks kind of sad. Out of sympathy, I pat her shoulder. She tries so hard to have a strong outer shell, even though it's okay to be sad sometimes. She's just like Alberto with the whole "don't let anyone see you cry" thing.

Giulia sets Nerone down, watching him run back to his bed in the living room. I wave my fingers at him, trying hard to push aside the realization that I won't see him for three months either.

Giulia flops down on the ottoman (a big word for "comfy flat seat") right next to the front door, and pulls her yellow boots on. Studio 8 on the television calls them "galoshes", but we're not too fancy around here. I've already got mine on, and I look down to admire them. They're brand new, just like all of the things Martina's bought me.