A Meal on the Brick Steps

Luca's POV

Oh, it feels so good to be back at the farm. I can tell that all the fish missed me (they wouldn't stop nuzzling me for ten minutes), and I really missed them too. Apparently one of our neighbors took care of them while I was gone, but they kept the place just as I left it.

Now I'm sitting on my little rock—the same rock that I was sitting at nearly one year ago. I was such a different person then. I'd never went to school, or gone above the surface... I didn't even know Alberto then.

I lean back on the rock, staring out at the farm. The grass moves so softly, like a constant breeze is flowing through. The fish are busy chewing or sleeping. Everything is peaceful.

... Then I sit up straight.

...

Where's Giuseppe?

I don't see him anywhere. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen him since I got home. Is he missing? Is he dead?

"Giuseppe...?" I say hesitantly, getting up from my rock and grabbing my stick. If he is nearby, I doubt he'll come willingly; I'll need to drag him back. "Giuseppe, where are you?"

Suddenly, some of the other fish look at me.

"Do any of you know where Giuseppe is...?" I ask them, examining each one's expression. Some of them glance at each other, while some just keep looking at me. I guess even if they did know, they couldn't tell me.

My shoulders slump. I should have known something would happen to him. I should have asked Mom to tell the neighbor about him and his weird desire to venture out. Now he's gone, and it's all my fault.

I hug my arms, trying to keep calm. Surely someone spotted him and took him in... right? I'm sure he's not dead somewhere.

This thought scares me, and I start to push my hair back. I'm at a loss at what to do, but just as I start to fall deep into thought, the sound of my mother's voice snaps me out of it.

"Luca! Lunch is ready!"

Looking back at the exit, I set my stick down by the rock. "Coming, Mom!" I quickly check to make sure all the fish are okay, then I swim towards my house.

Still, I can't get Giuseppe out of my mind.

"Luca," Mom greets as I meet her outside. "How are the fish?" I almost say something, but don't. She grabs my hand and leads me inside. "Come on. We made seaweed balls. Hurry before your father and grandmother eat them all."

She probably notices I'm quiet, because she soon turns back to look at me. I smile at her, but she doesn't seem convinced that I'm okay.

"... Luca?" she says in a softer voice. "... What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Mom, don't worry." I try to swim to my place at the table, where Dad and Grandma are sitting, but Mom stops me.

"Luca, I know you. Something's wrong." She lifts up my chin, but it still takes me a second to look up at her.

I know she'll listen, since all her focus is on me now. So I go ahead and tell her.

"... It's Giuseppe, Mom. He's missing. He's not in the herd anymore."

To my surprise, she doesn't say anything; instead, they all just exchange glances, like the fish did. Like they know something I don't. My stomach twists. What happened to him?

Finally, someone speaks. "If Giuseppe is that fish that likes to bump his head against rocks, then he's gone," says Grandma. "He's been gone since you left, Bubble. We don't know where he went."