Lots of Different Emotions

Hello, all! It's Toffee (of course). I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the support I got from the first chapter! I love to create stories for people to read and enjoy, so seeing what you guys think makes me super happy.

Okay, that's all! Enjoy the story, dorks~

—————

June 16th three nights till departure

Riiing....

Riiing....

Martina waits patiently as she holds the phone to her ear, chewing on her thumbnail.

Soon she hears a voice from the other line. "Marcovaldo speaking."

"Hey, Massimo... it's Martina."

"Oh...." Massimo pauses. "How can I help you?"

She sits down on her couch, toying with a loose thread on a nearby pillow. Even after being separated for three years, their calls never fail to be awkward. "I'm calling to confirm that you'll be waiting for Giulia and Luca this Saturday."

"Oh, of course. We've been waiting eagerly, haven't we, Alberto?" He then chuckles at what Martina assumes is a nod from the boy. "Even if I wanted to forget, this kid wouldn't let me."

Martina gives a small giggle as well. "Right. Neither would mine." She looks through the corridor behind her, making sure Giulia's bedroom door is shut and the lights are off. "Santo Cielo. Why is Alberto still awake? It's past eleven."

"Monday night is movie night. Alberto's been obsessed with this new series. Something about a superhero...."

"His name is Batman and he's the greatest superhero ever created of all time!" Alberto chimes in excitedly. He'd practically climbed up Massimo to be in earshot of Martina. "He's got a movie and comic books and action figures and this cool sidekick named Robin—"

"Ay, ragazzo, she doesn't care about that; get out of here with your silliness!" Alberto starts to laugh as Massimo playfully elbows him away. On the other end, Martina just listens in amusement. Soon it gets quieter, as Alberto had made his way upstairs. Massimo gives a long, tired sigh. Then chuckles. "Kids."

"Oh, it's okay. I know exactly what you're going through. Giulia's obsession with astronomy has rubbed off on Luca."

"Ah, yes, I remember Luca's interest in outer space. Seems he has a bit more mature hobbies than Alberto does." Massimo's smile can be heard in his voice. "But that's alright. Alberto is a great kid. He's opened up more these past seasons. I really feel like I know him now. And Machiavelli's finally taken a liking to him, that stubborn cat. They even sleep together now."

Martina finds herself leaning against the arm of the couch now, and smiling warmly. She reaches over and pulls a knit blanket up to her waist—not that she can get much more comfortable. She's always loved hearing Massimo talk, even if she never said it aloud. She loves it so much that her habit of chattering seems to dissipate whenever she and him talk. Looking down, she feels a small pang of sadness, wishing things had gone differently between the two of them. "I'm glad to hear that," she finally replies.

She rubs the side of her neck, not knowing what to say next but also not wanting to hang up.

'Urgh, this always happens to me,' she thinks to herself.

"You take care now, Martina," says Massimo after a few moments of silence. His voice is tender; almost yearning.

"Yeah...." Martina smiles softly. "You as well."