13. New Bad Changes.

"Cough! Cough! Cough!" I groan in pain and turn over, curling up even more under the blanket. I hear my bedroom door open and feel the blanket move, sending a shiver through my body. I groan again as I feel something cold placed under my arm. When I hear the beeping sound, a frustrated sigh isn't far behind it.

"Oh God. I just don't know what I can do to get this fever to stay gone. Shouldn't those antibiotics be helping? Ugh!" He harshly whispers to himself. He grabs the rag and swings it to get it cold again before placing it on my forehead. I yelp at the sudden cold. "I know kid. I know it isn't pleasant. I know it hurts. I'll go get a popsicle and some more medicine. I believe you can take Tylenol again now. Just let me check when I gave it to you last to be sure."

He leaves the room and I try to curl back up under the blanket, but it hurts too much to move. What time is it? I think it's the middle of the night, since it's so dark in here. I feel so bad for keeping him up. He doesn't need this stress.

When he comes back in he's carrying a pink popsicle and some Tylenol. He sits them down on the table and helps me sit up. After I take the medicine he hands me the popsicle. "I know you love the blue, but I had to put some more in the freezer to freeze. So you'll have to wait for more blue." I nod and silently eat it.

"I'll check your temperature again in a half hour kid." I nod again, feeling very drained of energy.

A half hour later he comes back in and checks my temperature. Seeing as it's gone down, he instructs me to lay down and get some rest, which I gladly do. The next morning I wake up still feeling tired, but also feeling better. 4 long days I was sick and now it seems to have finally broke. I smile and get up, making my way to the kitchen.

Johnny isn't up yet. I'm going to let him sleep. I make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast, before sitting down and starting to catch up on all my missed school work. Since I'm feeling better and i have all this time on my hands I might as well do school work.

At around 4pm I finally finish. I got up at 7am. I worked overtime. I hope I don't get sick again from it. I also hope Johnny doesn't get mad. I mean, there wasn't really that much that I missed. Just a couple days worth of notes to study for an upcoming test. I get up and go to Johnny's room.

After peeking in and seeing him still asleep on his bed I smile. He must have stayed up all night, even after I went to sleep. I go back downstairs and put in a cartoon before getting comfy on the couch. After a while he got up. He wasn't too mad about me doing the school work. Now he's making supper, while enforcing me staying on the couch.

After supper, I get a shower and take my antibiotic. I might be feeling better but we both want to be safe and make sure I actually completely 100% get better. Despite not doing much today, Johnny sends me to bed as soon as my hair is dry.

A month later, we both face something neither of us wanted to face. My mother. I thought for sure that maybe I wouldn't ever have to meet her. But here she is, in our doorway. I shut the door in her face. I don't even think Johnny got a chance to register that she is here.

"Was... Was that..." I nod before he finishes. "You just.." I nod again. He takes a deep breath before patting the couch next to him. I sit down and he side hugs me. "You ok sport?" I smile before nodding. "I'll be ok. As long as she goes away and stays away."

"If she comes back, I'll talk to her and see what she wants." I nod and go back to watching my cartoon. I hear the doorbell ring again, but this time I ignore it and let Johnny answer the door. I don't know what he said, but when I heard a nails on the chalk board kind of inhuman screech, my attention was fully on the front door instead of the cartoon.