3. The Other Orphan Children.

As soon as I'm finished helping the others clean up after breakfast, I hear a baby cry. "I got her!" I shout to let Ms. Clara know that I'm getting the baby. Ms. Clara is in her office filling out paperwork for baby Sarah, who just got here a couple days ago.

I think Ms. Clara should really recruit some more staff to help her out. She works too hard. She's been up and down throughout the night the past couple nights with Sarah, so she must be exhausted as well.

Sarah's parents died in a car crash like mine did. She's not even close to a year old yet but I feel like I have a connection with her. I hope she gets adopted by a loving family very quickly.

I finish making the bottle the way Ms. Clara had shown me and walk to the newborns room. Sarah is the only baby here right now so she's the only one using the newborn room. As I open the door I can hear her little cries get louder. "I'm coming Sarah." I speak softly to her. Ms. Clara said it's good to talk to babies as if they can understand you.

I gently pick her up and hold her just like Ms. Clara had shown me. I place the bottle to her lips holding it at a slight angle as Sarah instantly begins to eat. I watch her eat and smile. She's so precious. So innocent.

Sarah finishes the bottle and I start to burp her. When she burps I move her back to lay in my arms again. "Oh, little baby, you're so so sweet. Sweet as the candy from a candy tree." I start to sing softly in a tune similar to the "come little children" song.

I lay her down and change her diaper. I should have done that first, but I'm only 8 and I've never handled a baby before a couple days ago, so I didn't think of it at first. I'm still learning. I've been helping Ms. Clara the best I can, every chance I can, to try to take a bit off her shoulders. After I've finished, I pick her back up and sit down in the rocking chair. Not to rock her back to sleep just yet. Just to sit with her, safely laying on my lap to let her play with my fingers.

I wonder if I was this cute. I don't have any baby photos. The only photos I have go back to only a year ago. I hear a noise by the door and look up to see a little blonde haired blue eyed boy. It's little Timothy. "Hey Timmy." I smile at his shy little face. "Um... Can.. Can I see the baby?" He asks timidly.

"Of course. Come see her." I gesture for the little boy to come over. "She's awake for now. Just be very gentle." I tell him. He's only 4yrs old. He was brought here 2 months ago. His parents were murdered in a home burglary gone wrong. He had hid in his closet until the police found him.

He comes woddling over happily, smiling and looking at Sarah. He gently brushes his hand on her cheek. "You was this small once. So was I. Everyone was once this small." I tell him. "Can you believe that?"

"No." He answers honestly. I smile then look back down at Sarah. "Would you like to go outside Timmy? I think Sarah would like to." He looks excitedly up at me. "You'll play with us outside?" He asks me, full of hope as I look back up to meet his greyish blue eyes.

There are currently only 9 kids here in the orphanage all together. There's Kiara and Macy who both just turned 8. Ben is 3yrs old and Timothy is 4yrs old. Lily and Levi are both 5 and Mason is 7. Then Sarah who is 5 months old. Then of course, myself.

Lily and Levi are twins. Both have light brown hair and dark brown eyes. They kind of remind me of Johnny. Ben is their younger sibling and looks a little like them. His hair is darker and his eyes are hazel though. Their parents got arrested for child abuse.

Mason is a little redhead with green eyes and freckles. His parents lost custody due to child neglect.

Macy is blonde but has light brown eyes and Kiara has black hair like mine and dark brown, almost black, eyes. Apparently they are twins too. Fraternal twins. Their mother died of illness and their father couldn't take care of them.