5. New Life.

I said goodbye to Ms. Clara and Ms. Sam. While Johnny put my bags in his trunk. Apparently, he drove himself here today. Suddenly, I'm hugged from 3 different angles. Kiara, Macy, and Mason all hug me very tightly. I hug them back, honestly a bit surprised.

Afterwards, Johnny opens the car door for me. I'm not old enough, yet, to sit in the front so I have to sit in the back. He gets in the car and starts to drive. "How have you been, love? You've grown." I try to see his face in the dark, but fail so I look out the window. "I've been a lot better than I was last year. After you left I may have.. Turned into what they call a depphead." I laugh a bit nervously.

He chuckles as he enters the big town. "You've seen all of my movies?" I smile. "All but the one that you just finished filming. I watched your interviews too. I had hoped I'd see you again, to show you how well I'd been doing, but I didn't believe you remembered me."

We arrive at the restaurant. In the light, I can see that he's frowning. "You thought I wouldn't remember such a brave, strong, smart, and amazing young lady such as yourself?" He turns to face me in the seat. "Well.." He gives me the same look that he did last year, but with a raised eyebrow this time. There's still no lying to him.

"No.. You're famous and was just passing through for a joy ride. You could only stay a week with me in the hospital because you had to go film. I thought you'd get too busy and then I'd be in the past." I answer honestly.

He stares at me for a second, in thought. Suddenly he turns and gets out of the car. Did I make him mad? My door opens and he kneels down to eye level with me. This is new. I stare into his dark chocolate brown eyes. They are full of stern seriousness.

"Now you listen to me Skylar Kai Depp." I feel excited and happy about the name. I have a middle and last name now.. I'm not just Skylar anymore. But the stern seriousness of his tone doesn't give me time to think much more on it as my thoughts are interrupted by his voice.

"I never once stopped thinking of you, love. Worrying about you, hoping you were ok. I wanted to adopt you as soon as I met you. I felt a connection to you. In my heart, you were already my daughter. But I had to leave you in the hospital. By the time you were out of the hospital I was filming and couldn't come back as it was so far away from here."

I stare at him in shocked silence. After a few seconds he speaks again. "Let's go inside, love. We can chat about this more while we eat." He extends a hand for me to take. I unbuckle my seat belt and take his hand, following him inside.

We take our seats inside and look at the menus. I have a children's menu. I tell Johnny what I want and give him my menu. I look around. There aren't that many people here right now. Mostly men and a couple and a small family. I then look back at him. "Where are your bodyguards?"

He chuckles and points around the room. "They are having meals as well. They "trusted" me to drive to get you." I then look down as I get a thought. "Why didn't you call?"

"I did, love." I look at him confused. "Clara and I decided not to tell you, as a surprise. I've been funding the orphanage since last year. There were so many times where I almost broke and ruined the surprise. I didn't want you feeling as though I'd forgotten you or that you didn't matter to me. I didn't want you feeling as though you were not adoptable."

The waiter comes over and Johnny places our orders. After the waiter is gone Johnny looks back at me. "The thought of you thinking that way shattered my heart. I couldn't adopt you over the phone of course. So that had to wait until I finished the interviews and events for the film. I actually arrived in town a few days before that adoption event. I did check on you as much as I could over the last year, and your teacher was paid for by me as well." I wonder if he'll continue funding the orphanage.