2. Life Gets Better.

He sat there listening to me talk for a half an hour. I told him everything, from the moment I arrived here. Occasionally, he had to remind me to speak up, louder, just a little because I would start talking too quietly or ask a question to clarify what I had just said.

Now I'm sitting in the back of an ambulance. There are so many police officers scattered about. Some talking to the other kids. Some talking to the headmistress. Some talking to Johnny and those 5 men, who I learned are Johnny's bodyguards. And a couple that just finished talking to me.

I've stuck to my story, obviously since I'm telling the truth. Why wouldn't I be? I overheard Johnny telling the officers that he had just been out for a joy ride to escape the famous life for a little bit, when he saw me getting attacked and had his driver stop the car. I hadn't heard a car then, but then again I hadn't been paying much attention until I had heard him yell for Zoe and her minions to stop. Wait... He's famous?

I snap out of my thoughts as I hear shouting. No. Screeching. They are taking the headmistress to jail. She's yelling about the children lying. "THEY ARE ALL LYING! SKYLAR TELL THE NICE OFFICERS THE TRUTH! TELL THEM I LOVE YOU ALL!" I stay silent just watching as she gets shoved into the police car. Her screeches get muffled when the car door slams shut in her face.

I look over at the other children and some of their eyes meet mine for the first time. But the most surprising part, is that they smiled at me. Smiled! Does this mean that they also told the truth? They didn't lie?

The paramedics check me over and decide that I need medical care at the hospital. As they are preparing to drive me to the hospital Johnny comes over to me.

"Hey sweetheart. I'm going to ride with you to the hospital." His bodyguards look at each other as if to telepathically communicate with each other. "Sir, shall we will follow in the car then?" Johnny just nods and his bodyguards go to their car as Johnny climbs in the ambulance with me just before the paramedics close the ambulance doors.

"What's going to happen to the other children?" I ask him, genuinely curious. "A few of the female police officers will stay with them until a new, better headmistress can be found for the job." He answers as he meets my eyes. "Their stories matched yours and there is proof of the abuse on your body along with those pictures I took inside, so the previous headmistress will be going away for a very long time." He smiles as I just listen to him speak. I look down at the IV in my arm as we sit in comfortable silence until we get to the hospital.

The entire hospital visit is a blur. I know Johnny was by my side practically an entire week, but then he had to leave to go film in his new movie. I've been in here for a month now and I haven't heard from or seen him since. I guess I shouldn't expect to. He's famous after all.

Since he left I've binge watched all of his movies that he's acted in so far. I had thought I recognized him from somewhere when I first met him, when he saved me, but I hadn't been sure. Some of the other children had watched some of his movies at the orphanage and I had seen bits and pieces while cleaning the orphanage.

The orphanage... They found a new headmistress. One of the police officers still visits me and has told me that she's nice. I'm nervous though. I have to go back tomorrow. The old headmistress is in prison for child abuse, child endangerment, and.. Child labor? Anyway she's gone for a very long time. I won't ever have to see her again they said.

I sigh as the movie "crybaby" ends. It's the second time I've watched it and.. Maybe I shouldn't have... I don't think a couple of those scenes were meant for 7yr old eyes. No one stopped me from watching it but... Bleh! I make a disgusted face and then look out the window across the city. It's dark, but the lights from the buildings and streetlights block out the stars in the sky. I sigh and close my eyes, slowly falling asleep.