Castaway - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 : New Feelings

I scanned the room again, there were only two empty seats left. Surprisingly, one next to Hailey and the other one next to me. He must be joking. He’ll literally destroy his reputation if he sits here.

Please, let him sit somewhere else. I don’t want to live with the feeling of knowing unintentionally destroyed someone’s reputation. Everyone watched in horror as Ethan strode over towards me.

I was close to hyperventaling. Someone had willingly sat next to me.

“Hey, I’m Ethan.”

“Essence,”

“Cool name.”

“Thanks,” I muttered, looking outside the window wanting class to end more than anything.

-------

That was the most torturous thing I’ve ever been through. That’s saying something, considering I’ve been through a lot. Ethan is Hailey’s new pawn, I’m still Hailey’s enemy. Only now she hates me even more. Lovely.

I locked my gaze on the bell, waiting for it to ring. Almost there…

RINGG!!!!!

Yes! I jumped up, threw my supplies inside of my bag and rushed out of there. I wasn’t paying attention, so I didn’t notice when someone had purposely stretched their leg out.

I fell flat on my face, all I could hear was everybody’s laughter. My cheeks were boiling. I’m sick and tired of this. I clenched my fist tightly. I was ready to punch the life out of somebody.

Hailey stooped down, “Stay away from Ethan, low-life freak.” She growled.

I sent her a murderous glare, fear consumed her eyes. As quickly as it came, as it quickly as it went. She smirked and stalked off. The crowd following her eagerly.

I muttered incoherently under my breath. I tried standing myself up and fell back down. Immediate pain shot throughout me, my arms and legs burned. An outstretched hand came into view. I looked up to see Ethan. With his help, I steadily raised myself.

“Why do you let them do that to you, Essence?” He said angrily. His green eyes burning with fury.

I shrugged, blinking furiously to stop the tears from falling out of my eyes.

“C’mon let’s get to class,”

I nodded and rested my gaze on the rusty water fountain. I’ll break down if I meet his eyes. He placed his warm, comforting hands on my shoulders.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I said boringly. Everything I thought. Ethan mumbled something that sounded relatively close to “Liar.”

I walked away, far enough so he won’t see the tears brimming my eyes. Truth is, I didn’t even know myself why I let them gracefully prance around on top of me. I need to get my mind of this. Looking around, I bit my lip. There’s no one around.

Clutching my bag towards me, I bolted to the door. The satisfying sound of it opening rang through my ears. The cool, crisp air surrounded me. I ran all the way to my favorite place. I smiled planted on my face just thinking about it. When the entrance came to view I slowed. Slipping a hand inside of my bag, I tossed the multicolored scarf around my neck, I put on my fake glasses and tied my hair into a messy bun. Keeping my bangs across my face still.

“Essence!”

I grinned, “Hey Nat,”

The smell of fresh coffee brewing and pastries overwhelmed me. I loved this place, so did the people who formed the huge line.

“Need some help?” I called out.

“Please,” She called back happily.

I rushed behind the counter, taking customer’s orders immediately. Natalie worked behind me, making the orders quickly. After a rough hour of work, things slowed down. Nat and I sat down sipping our coffees taking a much needed break. Natalie was only twenty years old. Her straight blond hair had black tips. She had really pretty bright electric blue eyes.

I glanced around the room and smiled. It hasn’t changed much. The walls were still a plain white, the tiles black and white. In the middle of the café was a large alcove. Underneath it was an undersized stage.

I quickly turned back to Nat, “Anybody playing for Open Mic tonight?”

She sighed, “Nope. Think you can do it?”

I sighed dramatically. Jokingly I said, “If I must.”

She rolled her eyes, and laughed. Soon enough, we were both laughing. Sadly, my gaze averted to the music note clock plastered on the wall. I sighed, I knew I had to go back home.

“Gotta go, Nat. How much?”

“No charge,” She chirped happily. “Just, try not to get your parent mad?”

“No promise,” I mumbled.