Castaway - Chapter 18

Chapter 18 : Trying Hard To Keep It Together...

-----------

"You know I've always preferred your hair black." Natalie murmured quietly.

"Thanks." I mumbled, fingeringnmy sort of new black locks.

"Why the change?"

"it wasn't me."

"Understandable, I'm not much of a brunette either."

I managed to crack a fake smile, we went back to the salon to dye our hair back to it's natural color, though Natalie refused the black tips. Keeping her hair to it's naturally blonde. These days she's been trying to mend my broken heart to avoid for me to fall into my depressing routine:

Wake up, eat, school, sleep, wake up, cry, sleep and repeat.

It's been a well over a month since I've seen HIM. School dragged on and only added more pain to my life. I went back to my head to toe black get up. What's the point of dressing happy if you're not? Ethan's gone, apparantly since the day he dropped me off.

"Any news from Locke?"

Have I mentioned that not long after Tanner left Locke came back and apologized sincerely to a teary eyed Natalie, then proposed to her?

"Uh, we sort of need to meet up today."

"Go ahead, I'll survive a few hours." I hope..

"Well we need to go dress shopping."

"For?"

She smacked me lightly on the head, "You're my maid of honor silly."

I sputtered. "Since when?"

Natalie rolled her eyes, "Since a month ago."

I shivered involuntarily, "Why can't we do it now?"

"Before that we need to talk about decor, venue, flowers. And it's been a whilesince we've seen each other." Natalie pouted and I rolled my eyes. I've never would've guessed a day was a long time.

"Fine." No harm done right?

"One more thing..."

"It can't get anymore worse right?" I joked.

"Tanner is the best man."

"And?"

"Essence. Tanner is coming too."

"Lovely." I croaked.

---------

Tanner's P.O.V.

I stared out my window blankly and sifhed tiredly, what kind of hell was I pulled into? It's been a month since I've last seen Essence and everyday felt so wrong. The idea of caving in and visiting her was too tempting for my own good. I convinced myself that it was for the best.

At least this way she could continuee her fairytale romance with Ethan happily rather guiltily that I've been left behind.

My heart clenched painfully at the thought and for a moment I felt tars stinging my eyes.

"You ready bro?"

"Yeah."

Locke played with his car keys, "One more thing."

I cleared my throat and returned my gaze outside, "Assuming Essence is Natalie's maid of honor she's going to be joining us for lunch?"

Locke stood dumbfounded at which I cocked my eyebrows at, I may be depressed but that doesn't mean that I don't keep track of my surroundings.

'Let's go then."

-------

"Locke!" Natalie squealed, jumping into his awaiting arms.

"Hey babe." I stiffened at the familiarity.

I saw Essence out of the corner of my eye but pretended that I hadn't. Well, I really didn't have to pretend. The girl who was hitting on me at the party spotted me and daintily sprinted towards me.

"Hey remember me?" How couldn't I? Unintentionally she broke me and Essence apart.

"Sorry, didn't catch your name the last time."

She blushed, "JayVee."

I turned back to see Locke and Natalie staring at us and Essence no where to be found.

"So what have you been up too?" Jayvee spoke eagerly.

"Nothing really,"

"Cool."

"Is there anything that I can help you with?" I asked bluntly, glancing at the people who walked around us.

She bit her lip, "Just wanted to say hi."

"Till next time then?"

Again she blushed, "I was thinking we could go out to lunch or something?"

"Sorry but I have a commitment already." My tone nonchalant as I jerked my thumb behind me.

"Would you mind if I joined?" I barely know this girl! I'm guessing she didn't notice my blind eye.

I opened my mouth to decline her offer but somebody else beat me to the punch line, "That'd be lovely, come on were going to order right now."

I gritted my teeth, why the hell is Essence doing this?

JayVee smile, "Thanks."

-----------

I stared at Essence blankly as we walked and say 'coincidentally' across each other. I couldn't glare at her properly since she refused to meet my eyes.

"So Laylee what grade are you in?" Locke stared at her boredly. At least he attempted to be nice.

"JayVee." She corrected, "And I'm a dropout."

I heard a 'knew it!'

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen." She answered smugly.

"Sixteen and pregnant?" Nat mocked, unexpected for the next answer.

"Was. Got an abortion though." How can she brush it off lime it's nothing? Is she that heartless and shallow?

"How could you-" Natalie sputtered.

"Food is here." Essence spoke quietly, cutting Nat off.

JayVee smiled, "Hey, what's your name?"

"Essence."

"It's pretty."

She merely nodded, "Thank you. "

Before JayVee could respond Locke did, "Say Essence when is Ethan coming?"

My body turned rigid at the words and my gaze turned back to her as sgphe shrugged, "He said if he could, he would."

I took another swig from my Coke feeling the ice burn my throat when I swallowed.

"Speak of the devil." Natalie muttered.

Ethan grinned, "How's it going everybody?"

JayVee batted her eyelashes, "Hey there Ethan."

Everybody starec at her disgust I gly but Ethan brushed it off by saying, "Not interested. Already got my eyes on one."

Hearing that made my blood boil, "Can we talk Ethan?"

Ethan nodded and I turned to Locke, "No need to worry, I'm not going to do anything harsh."

Essence stood, "I'll keep a look out for you Locke."

JayVee mumbled , "Lucky." To Essence's retreating figure, she kept quiet while I steered the way to an abondoned house with fists clenched.

---------

Not edited!

Song for chapter Avril Lavigne's When You're Gone.