Castaway - Chapter 16

• Dedicated to To My Readers,

Chapter 16 : Eyes Lie.

--------------

Essence's P.O.V.

I knocked gently on the wooden door that opened to my house, sort of scared of facing my parents. My eyes widened when they caught my parents. Familiar shivers went down my body as I trembled in fear.

My mom smirked, a half empty liquor glass in her shaky hands. Her hair was ruffled and eyes were bloodshot. My dad poked his head out of the door, saw my face and clothesand turned away in digust. Taking another shot of whiskey. 

What happened?

My mom took a long gulp, "What?"

"What do you mean?" I was dumbfounded, I live here don't I?

"Why are you here?"

"I live here." I stated slowly.

She glared, "No whore is staying underneath my roof."

"What are you talking about?" I squeaked.

My mom crossed her arms, "You're with Tanner right?"

"Yeah." I lie.

"So why did he call me saying you left the party in a rush with Ethan Sumers?"

Summers I corrected in my head.

"Mom, you d-don't understand-"

"No." She cut me off icily, "I don't understand."

"But Mom!"

"Enough!" She screamed and pointed her finger at me, "Don't you dare come to my house after this. I raised my beautiful Essence. Not a whore." She spat.

"Can I at least get my stuff?" Tears fell down my glassy eyes.

She sneered, "No need. I packed it for you."

"Thank you," I whispered ; collecting my stuff from her, "I love you."

Regret flickered in her eyes, but she chose to slam the door in my face. Lugging my two duffel bags I made my way to Natalie's.

--------

In an hour or so, we held eachother inside of the other's arms while sitting on the floor and bawled oureyes out, "H-He br-broke u-u-up with me Essence! Just fo-for taking your si-side!"

"I'm sorry! I shouldn't have left!" I cried, burrowing my face in her brown hair. 

"N-no, it's not your fault."

So why do I feel so damn guilty?

"I-I just couldn't handle seeing Tanner after that." My voice dropped a few octaves.

"I guess I should mention that the band is over."

"What?"

She attempted humor, "Well we can't perform anymore with no guitarist and drummer slash backup singer." Natalie looked at her phone expanctantly, sighing when it didn't ring.

More tears fell down my face. That band was like my family. Scratch that, it IS my family. And it was torn apart with just warning from Ethan.

She wiped away her tears, "So where did Ethan take you."

"To a meadow with a view of the lake."

"Sweet." Natalie caught the bracelet and necklace, "Awe did he give those to you? They're so beautiful. Being rich has their own perks, huh?"

It was beautiful, a silver chained charm bracelet already filled with charms. I held my wrists down, letting it slide down my hand. The cold contanct came in touch with my cold skin. Natalie catched it smoothly, caressing each charm.

She pointed to a charm with a boy and girl held hands, "November 5. 2011?"

"The first day we met." I whispered.

She nodded and moved to the microphone, "November 5. 2011?"

"Performance at your café." Our almost first kiss. 

Nat moved to the star, "November 16?"

I tipped my head back and thought, "I'm pretty sure that's the day we performed at his birthday."

"November 17?" It was a nerdy glasses as a charm.

I cocked an eyebrow, "The first time I haven't worn all black."

"Damn," She muttered, "He got a charm for every single thing?"

I laughed whole heartedly, wonder what's coming next, "Still wanna go through the rest?"

"Hell yeah, I need to know who you're with." She winked and read the next one, a heart by the way, "December 3?"

"December 3? I don't know."

Natalie nodded ; and pointed to the broken heart charm. The last charm. "December 7?"

"First day me and Tanner kissed." I whispered coolly.

I held my palm out and she placed the charm bracelet on my shaking hands. She fingered the long thin necklace. The glittery, shining silver key glimmered.

"Woah, let me guess 'the key to my heart'?"

Well it was my fault for falling for a taken girl...

I stared at Natalie horrified, "What if Ethan's in love with me?"

----------

Tanner's P.O.V.

-------

How can such a fun night turn into a horrific one? Essence looked breathtaking in her dress, a whole different person. A smile wormed it's way to my face when I heard her laugh. A laugh I could distinct between a crowd of people.

I placed my hand on the small of her back leaning to whisper into her ear, "When am I having my dance?" 

She stuttered, "I-I don't know."

I laughed softly, "No rain check this time,"

I left and sat on the the couch, beer in hand. I sat boredly, then my eyes widened when I saw Ethan slide into the next seat with Essence. Just as I was about to get up, a redhead sat on my lap glueing me to my seat.

"Excuse me,"

"What?"

I smirked, "I need to talk to my girlfriend."

"I bet you don't have one."

I pointed to Essence's irratated face, "Wrong choice, that's her."

She cocked an eyebrow and intertwined her hands around my neck, "She doesn't look worthy."

I laughed, "I'm the one that's not worthy."

"Ugh, are you going to kiss me or not."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Girlfriend." I responded boredly, when will she get the hint?

I turned back to Essence to see tears fall out of her eyes and Ethan soothed her, when he caught me looking he shook his head and glared disgustingly at me.

Shit. It looked like I was cheating.

Lightly I pushed her off just as I heard the door slam shut. I felt my heart break into pieces, it was just as if she's shutting me out of her life.

Locke sighed and stared at his phone expectantly, "Why isn't she calling me?"

"You shouldn't have broken up with her man."

"I kno- No, it was the right decision."

"To let go of the one you love?"

"She accused you of cheating on Essence."

I tipped my head back and laughed, "Well, it did look like it didn't it? It wasn't her fault."

Locke took another swig of his beer, "I'm just confused."

"About what?" I cried, "She loves you, you love her! Essence probably hates me now! And where does that leave me? Still in love with her! Look, it was my fault Essence left. My fault that I ruined her birthday. You shouldn't have broken up with Natalie because of what she assumed! Even though it was way of, she was protecting Essence, just like you would've done for me right?"

Locke stared at me dumbfounded, I stood, "Whatever man, I'm goin to sleep."

---------