Castaway - Chapter 9

----------------

Chapter 9 : More Than Fake?

-------------------

My mom giggled girlishly, “Oh Tanner!”

I laughed silently along to the corny joke Tanner told, my parents absolutely love him. So far, they have not drunken one sip! Of beer, or even touch a cigarette! After more than two years of pleading them to stop, receiving the blows, the second Tanner walks in …

We turn into a loving family? Anybody see something wrong with the picture? Even if something was wrong, I could care less.

For once in her life she got the love she had craved from her parents. And I was going to eat it all up.

I smoothed out the dress I got earlier today nervously and twirled my wavy locks. My mom helped me get ready after she personally cooked dinner on her own.

“Essence! Honey, would you get the dessert?”

“Sure,”

I grabbed the freshly baked apple crumble pie from the kitchen and set it neatly down the middle of the table. I smiled at Tanner, “Want some?”

He smiled politely, “Yeah, thanks babe.”

I pecked his cheek and passed his plate as a flashing light consumed the room.

I groaned, cheeks flushed, “Dad!”

He grinned sheepishly, “You guys are to cute for your own good.”

Just to keep them going, I covered my rosy cheeks by resting my head on his neck. He hummed softly to “Just the girl,” His amazingly harmonious voice lulled me to sleep.

-------

“Essence? C’mon Essence! Wakey-wakey!”

I stirred and opened my eyes to a bright light, “Where am I? Did I die?”

Tanner chuckled, “No. Your in your room.”

“Oh.” I mumbled.

“I just came to say goodnight.”

Immediately I sat up, “Your leaving?”

He bit his lip and nodded, “Do you have to? Please, one more night?”

He ran a hand through his shaggy hair, giving me a slight view of his pale eye, “Just tonight.”

I let out a sigh of relief, I didn’t tell him but I felt comfortable around him. Safe, even. I had a scary gut feeling that my parents might come and beat me while I’m asleep.

He flicked off the lights, and climbed on. He wrapped his arms around me, holding me close to him. One of his arms went around my waist, while the other was around my exposed abdomen.

I pecked his cheek, “Thanks Tanner.”

“Mhm. Goodnight, babe.”

A fluttery feeling made it’s way up to my stomach., he called me babe. He called me babe and my parents weren’t even an earshot away.

Does he have sincere feelings towards me? Like I do. Let’s face it, it’s impossible to pretend to date Tanner and not even develop the slightest of feelings for him. He’s just so sweet, caring, gentle with me. He’s different from everybody else.

Tanner isn’t disgusted by my appearance, at this thought I snuggled closer to him, feeling his heartbeat against my own.

So softly I pressed my lips against his own as I repeated his own words, “Goodnight, babe.”

When Essence’s parents came to check up on them they shared a quick peck at the sight of Essence and Tanner. Both were holding each other comfortingly and tightly, smiling peacefully down at each other.

Even if the other didn’t know. The warmth surrounding them radiate off to the teary eyes adults who were standing in the doorway admiring the raw love they shared.

All they could think about was who were they to take away their daughter’s happiness and well-being? They just hoped that throughout the rest of their lives they would make it up to Essence,

----