New Deal

I was sitting on the porch drinking some tea and watching Jackson play with Jules and a few other little children that came with the hoard of packs. Eve sat next to me and I said "You've gotta be kidding me. Seriously, what is going on? Who are all these people? Why are they standing out here all weird and lurk-y?" she said "They've come from all over. All the packs." I said "Why? To see a baby that isn't even born yet?" Oliver came out and said "Forget the baby. These freaks, they come here to see you. You know, given the place your parents held in pack hierarchy, maybe they think you're gonna be the long-lost werewolf messiah or something." I sighed "Great. No pressure or anything." Elijah texted me that he wanted to meet so I called out "Jackson." he came over and I said "Elijah wants to meet with us." he sighed but the three of us headed to meet him. Elijah said "Your people are uniquely poised to set an example for the rest of the French Quarter. Which is why it's important for the wolves to attend."

I said "Thanks, but no thanks?" Oliver said, "Let's hear the man out." I said "The witches are the ones that cursed your pack. And they've been nothing but crap to me since I first came to town. No. We're not going." Jackson said "It's a new day in the Quarter, Hayley. I agree with Oliver. If we're gonna coexist, we have to play ball. We'll send a representative with a gift." I said "Jackson." he pulled me a little bit away and said "Hayley, trust me. Think of her sweet little face and trust that I am doing what I can to protect you, her, and the rest of our pack." I sighed "Fine." I walked away. Elijah followed me "That was too easy. Don't trust him. Don't trust any of them." 

I came on the porch to check on Jules who was playing outside when Jackson and Oliver quickly silenced their conversation. I said "What is this? High School?" Oliver said "Why don't you take the hint and mind your own business? I grabbed his arm, twisted it behind his back, and pinned his chest to the wall "This is my pack. That makes it my business." Jackson said "No need to get all riled up. It's not good for you, Hayley." I said "I have tried to play nice. The last month of pregnancy is all hormones and mood swings, so unless you want me to snap your arm like a twig, I suggest that you tell me what is going on." Oliver said, "You can go to hell." Jackson said "Knock it off. There's no reason to keep it from her." Oliver said "I can think of a reason. Tall and immortal and wears a pocket scarf." he fought against me so I forced him back down, Jackson whispered something and then Jules was hugging me "Mama!" I glared at Jackson, let Oliver go, and picked her up "What baby girl?" she smiled at me "I love you." I hugged her "I love you too." Jackson said "Hayley, you're one of us. You deserve to know. We made an alliance that's gonna change everything for the wolves."

I said "An alliance with who?" Jackson said "Klaus." Jules clapped "Daddy!" I said, "Tell me everything." So he did and I was pissed, I went to see Elijah and I brought Jules so Klaus could see her if he wants to. Elijah said "Strange. I thought you'd be in the company of your colorful friends." I said "Oh. You asked for a representative for the werewolves, so take me or leave me." he smiled and held his arm out so I took his arm and he led me to the party. Klaus came up and said "Hey baby, a princess at a party deserves a princess dress. How about we go get one?" she cheered and reached for him, he grabbed her and took her upstairs. They came back about an hour later, she was spinning and he said "I hear you made quite an impression with the wolves. My arrangement with them was supposed to be a secret, and yet you forced it out of them. It's very bold. As was your decision to represent them here today, on your own. I trust you'll do nothing to harm our cause." I said, "Are you really gonna go behind Elijah's back?" Klaus said "Come on! What difference does it make to you as long as your people benefit?" I said "If I find out that you are playing some game, trying to manipulate us for one of your schemes..." he interrupted me "...You know, you've come a long way, little wolf. I knew you were tough, I knew you were cunning, but I never knew you were a queen." 

After the party I went to find Jules who was with Klaus, I said "Come on baby, time to get home." She grabbed my hand as Klaus said "You know she is my daughter." I said "And you know she's better off with me." and I went back to the Bayou. Kara said, "Let's get you to bed, my love." Jules took her hand and they walked off, I paced as Jackson listened "I've learned my lesson. At first, I was against your plan. I thought that we should just live with Elijah's treaty, but after that party, those innocent people. There will never be a sense of peace. The weak will always be at the mercy of whoever is calling the shots." he said "It's survival of the fittest. We need to protect ourselves. And we need to protect each other." I said "We need to use Klaus' help while he's still willing to give it. But, Jackson, from now on, you have to tell me everything. And no matter what, we do not trust Klaus." he agreed and I went to lie down.

Eve was helping me prepare to give birth, and she said "That's it. Inhale and release." I said "I guess this means no epidural, huh? Are you sure I can't do this thing in, say, a hospital? The place with the doctors and the drugs?" Eve said "Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you were born. Stop worrying." I said "Okay. Then what, Eve? I don't even know what it's like to have a mother, let alone be one." she said "Trust me, when the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do. Besides you've gotten good practice with Jules." I said "I hope so. As fun as it is to image Klaus changing dirty diapers, I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing this alone." she said, "I somehow doubt that." Suddenly Elijah was at the door.