The Second Miracle

(Elijah's POV because Julianne is too little yet)

I was following Sophie Deveraux so I could talk to her, I was holding Nikki who was mindlessly playing with my suit. A vampire said, "You're doing magic?" Sophie said "I'm praying to my dead sister. Go ahead, pay your respects." I saw how this was escalating and set Nikki down on her feet. The second vampire said "Don't make this a thing Sophie. The hybrid was looking for Jane-Anne. Marcel wants to know why." Nikki was sitting on the steps and playing with a pipe, one vamp went to kill the witch so I grabbed him and ripped his heart out letting it drop to the ground.

Nikki hit the pipe on the metal railing and giggled as the ding was heard. The other vampire and Sophie looked at the small child and he said "Where did she come from?" Sophie said "I don't know." the vampire went to attack Sophie and so I threw him to the wall along with a dagger which stuck into his chest. I stopped next to the witch and held my hand out for Nikki who started to hop her way to me. I said "I'm Elijah. You heard of me?" Sophie nodded and said, "Yes, who is the kid?" I said "She is none of your concern. So, why don't you tell me what business your family has with my brother." she nodded and started to walk, I grabbed Nikki's hand and followed the witch as Nikki skipped along and babbled.

As we walked Sophie said "Is she Julianne Mikaelson? The Heiress everyone talks about?" I said "People seem to know a lot about a toddler who has yet to even really live." she said, "So how did a group of original vampires gain a baby?" I said "How else would one gain a child? She is Niklaus's daughter, we even had a Bennett witch do a spell to prove she is his biological child." Sophie and Nikki stepped into the cemetery but I was stopped Sophie said "Interesting, I thought having a vampire-werewolf hybrid as a father she'd be part Vampire." I said, "She is, but she is also a witch." Sophie said "This is sacred ground, which means vampires have to be invited in. But, since I'm desperate... Come on in. We can talk freely here." I walked in keeping an eye on the toddler running around looking at the tombstones and said "Then I suggest you start talking. What did your sister want with Niklaus?"

Sophie said "Isn't it obvious? We have a vampire problem, and we need help. Marcel has an army backing him. The witches have been trying to fight back. We haven't had much luck until my sister Jane-Anne met a girl, a werewolf passing through the quarter from a small town in Virginia. She had a special connection to your brother." I said "What kind of connection?" Sophie said "Apparently, they spent some time together. One thing led to another and now this special werewolf girl... she's pregnant. And the father of the child she's carrying is your brother Klaus." I said, "That's impossible."

Sophie said "So it's only possible for him to have a single child? Nothing is impossible, especially when it comes to your brother. Think about it... they call him the hybrid, and he already has one baby right? Bring her out!" three witches came out surrounding a very confused yet irritated werewolf who said, "Who the hell are you?" Nikki went over to the wolf and laid her tiny toddler hand on the wolf's stomach. I said "My name is Elijah, and this is my niece Julianne. Give us a moment, please." the witches left us in a burial vault." Nikki said "Baby?" she laid her hand over Nikki's and said, "Yes there is a baby there." I said, "So, have they been holding you here against your will?" she grabbed the toddler pulling her onto her lap, and said "They lured me out to the bayou and grabbed me. And they did all these... weird witchy tests. Not that I understand how this could happen. I mean, vampires are dead. They can't have children!" I said "Perhaps if you knew my brother's story, it might explain how it's possible for your unborn child as well as Nikki. Here, if I may.

I went to lay my hand on her head but she recoiled back and said "What are you doing?" I said "Relax. If you open your mind to me, I can show you." she allowed me to show her I said "In the beginning, our family was human... A thousand years ago now, Although our mother dabbled in the dark arts, we were actually just a family trying to survive in a time when it was quite difficult to do so. And, for better or worse, we were happy. That is, however, until one night, our youngest brother was killed by our village's greatest threat. Men that could transform themselves into wolves during the full moon. Our family was devastated, none more than Niklaus. Desperate to protect the rest of us, our father forced our mother to call upon her black magic in order to make us stronger. Thus, the first vampires were born. But with this speed, this strength, this immortality, came a terrible hunger. No one felt this hunger more than Niklaus. When he killed for the first time, we knew what he truly was. He wasn't just a vampire." 

She said "He was also a werewolf. That's how the werewolf curse works. It isn't activated until you take a life." I said "Niklaus was the result of an indiscretion our mother had hidden from us all. An affair, with a werewolf, like yourself. Infuriated by this betrayal, my father forced our mother to cast a spell that would suppress Klaus's werewolf side, denying him any connection with his true self." she said "Your dad was a dick. I'm Hayley, by the way. You should probably know my name if you're gonna tell me your whole life story. I mean, I know yours. Your family is legendary. Your brother is a notorious psycho... who I slept with. Classic me. I said "I cannot excuse his behavior, but you must understand when our father hunted him... hunted us... for centuries, every time we found a moment of happiness, we were forced to flee. Even here, in New Orleans, where we were happiest of all. Not long after Niklaus broke the spell which prevented him from becoming a hybrid, he defeated our father. I thought this would make him happy. He was angrier than ever. I wonder if perhaps these two babies might be a way for my brother to find happiness. A way to save him from himself. He is already showing signs of it."

Hayley and I stood up as Sophie came in and said, "I'm glad you feel that way because we need your help." I said, "What, precisely, is it that you want and what does it have to do with this young woman?" Sophie said "We want to run Marcel and his vampires out of town. Klaus is the key. Everything Marcel knows about being a vampire, he learned from Klaus. Marcel trusts him, looks up to him, and he won't see the betrayal coming." I said, "Yes, well, as I'm sure you're aware, my brother Niklaus doesn't like to be told what to do." Sophie said "That's why I brought you here. Marcel drove the werewolves out of town decades ago. Do you really think he's going to welcome a hybrid baby and the toddler you brought to the neighborhood? Convince Klaus to help us, and no one has to know about the newest member of the Original family." I said, "That sounds remarkably like blackmail." Sophie said, "As I said, I'm desperate." I said "Well, then, I have my work cut out for me, don't I?" I held my hands out for Nikki making Hayley kiss her little head before passing her over to me.