A Wet Bed And A Safe Place

The weeks went by quickly and before Y/n even realized it was halfway through February. Bucky's birthday was coming up in a little less than a month and she knew she wanted to do something special. Steve had the bright idea of going on vacation and after a solid day of arguing, Bucky had excitedly suggested going on one giant trip to multiple destinations. Y/n and Sam had enthusiastically agreed and immediately begun planning the trip.

Bucky had finally managed to get comfortable in his headspace, and none of them had ever seen him this content before. He would actually come and let Y/n know when he needed to regress and if she wasn't around for whatever reason and he knew he shouldn't wait he'd go to Sam or Steve. He was happier in his headspace than he'd been before, and his separation anxiety was easing up by a small amount. Even though he still hated it when his mama was away, he now trusted that she would eventually come back to him.

The one issue that they were still struggling with was his need to be with his mama almost constantly while he was little. Bucky had suggested just letting him cry so that he wouldn't bother her, much to Y/n's horror. She didn't mind having her baby with her all day, she just needed to have a way to still use both of her hands, especially on the days that he needed to be held continuously. After a long conversation, they asked Sam's opinion. He suggested baby wearing, something that his mother did with him when he was a toddler to keep him from wandering off in public.

Bucky liked the idea of getting to stay in contact with his mama even when she had to work and Y/n thought that it could definitely avoid more tantrums. She had bought a large woven wrap online and they had practiced while he was big. It was a fantastic solution and Sam had taught Y/n to wrap it correctly so that Bucky wouldn't fall and her back wouldn't hurt even after wearing it for hours.

That all led up to tonight. Bucky woke up in the middle of the night screaming, sheets soaked beneath him, and Jarvis immediately sent Y/n into his suite. She came running into his room, coming to comfort her sobbing little boy. "Sorry Mama," he cried out, reaching out desperately to be held. "Accident, promise."

"I know it was an accident, baby boy," she soothed, picking him up to take him to the shower. "It's not your fault." Once he'd been cleaned up Y/n stripped his bed, threw the dirty sheets in the laundry pile and carried Bucky to his nursery to be dressed. Bucky had stopped crying but he still looked upset and she knew it was because of the sheets. He hadn't wet the bed without having a pull-up on in almost three months and she could tell that he was disappointed in himself, not to mention the fact that he'd probably had a nightmare.

She laid him down on the changing table and made quick work of getting his pull-up on, handing him his blankie that had been miraculously unscathed by his accident. "Did you have a bad dream, little one?" She asked gently as she put away the talcum powder she had just used. Bucky nodded, eyes filling with tears again and she picked him up. "Do you wanna tell Mama what happened?" He didn't respond. "How about we get you in your jammies and then you can tell mama all about it in your rocking chair?" Bucky nodded his head, sniffling a little as she laid him back down.

She got him dressed in light blue onesie pajamas with white stripes. They had long sleeves and snapped all the way down his legs so that she could change him easily. It was one of his favorites because of how tiny it made him feel and she was hoping that it would help him feel safe while he told her about his bad dream. She carried him to the rocking chair and instructed Jarvis to turn the already dimmed lights down just a bit more.

Bucky was finally feeling calmer. His mama had reassured him over and over that she wasn't upset and she'd made sure that he was wrapped up in a nice warm blanket. For the first time, a wet bed didn't feel like the end of the world. His mama was right there to help him clean up and feel better. Even the nightmare didn't seem quite so frightening with his mama holding him and he finally felt ready to talk. "Had a scary dream, Mama," he said quietly.