Teeny Tiny Bucky

Y/n had never seen Bucky regress this far before. He was entirely nonverbal, only communicating with her through crying and whining, and all he wanted was for her to hold him. She knew why he'd regressed that far, it had been a terrifying and traumatic couple of days for him and he needed time to process it. The fact that he was willing to let her take care of him while he was in such a vulnerable state felt sacred, a fragile trust that she would protect with her life.

After he'd had his bottle, Y/n spent a long time sitting on the couch just holding him close, letting him have the physical contact that she knew he craved. Bucky was horribly touch starved after the years of being isolated inside cryofreeze and abused outside of it. She ran her fingers through his hair, rubbed circles on his back, anything she could think of to provide him with safe, gentle affection. And he took in every second of it, never letting his focus leave his mama. He never really stopped being amazed by how lovingly she treated him, like he was something that was worth her gentle touch, something worth loving.

An hour or so later Bucky started chewing on his metal fingers. Y/n didn't want him to hurt his teeth or damage his arm but she also didn't want to scold him while he was in such a fragile state. She stood up from the couch, taking him with her to the kitchen where she had left a few teethers on the drying rack. She grabbed his favorite one, a Captain America shield, and offered it to him. He took it, replacing his fingers with the much softer silicone. She took him back to the couch, grabbing his star projector on the way and setting it up on the coffee table after dimming the lights.

Y/n leaned back and settled Bucky between her legs with his back to her stomach so that he could watch the slowly rotating stars on the ceiling while he held onto his blankie. As they laid there on the couch Y/n sang lullabies to her baby, knowing that the sound of her voice would bring him comfort. He twisted around to look at her when she stopped and so she kept going until he had drifted off, one hand tightly clutching hers and the other fisted in the material of his blankie. A little while into his nap Bucky woke up a little bit and turned around so that he was essentially hugging his mama, head buried in her chest while she rubbed up and down his back. He let out a deep sigh as he settled, muscles relaxing as Y/n soothed him into a deep sleep.

While Bucky slept Y/n texted her brother and Sam to see how they were doing.

You guys doing alright? Rough mission, I know.

We're fine, Steve's got a couple bruised ribs but he'll be alright by tomorrow.

Thank god for super soldier healing. How's Bucky doing? I'd assume he's pretty shaken up. -SR

He'll be okay, he just needs time to process everything

Can we come see him? We could bring you guys dinner if you want.

Y/n looked down to the sleeping baby on her chest, holding on tight to her even in his sleep. He wasn't ready for other people yet, it would only overwhelm him.

Thanks Sam but I think he needs a little more time before he can handle seeing other people. How about you guys come over for breakfast tomorrow?

Breakfast sounds good. Take good care of him today, he needs you now more than ever. -SR

I know Stevie, I've got him

You always do. -SR

I think we should move up the timetable for our project, we could do it for Christmas instead of his birthday

Do you think we can get it done by then? I know you and Steve are super soldiers or whatever but Christmas is only a month and a half away

I think if we focus and keep him distracted we can make it happen. He needs this.

Alright, you're the Mama I'll take your word for it