TWENTY FIVE

Word Count: 1864

~Aspen

Pacing back and forth, I chew on my nails.

This isn't right. There is no chance I'm getting any sleep tonight, not when I'm thinking up a million different situations that could be going on in Kastriv's room with Daisy there.

He wouldn't do anything...right?

I shake my head. Of course not. As usual, I'm overthinking.

A soft knock suddenly sounds from the door.

I open it immediately, seeing Kastriv standing there meekly. "What is going on?"

"Daisy is asleep. I managed to sneak out," he says, striding in past me.

He looks unnerved, his shoulders taut, his expression tense. I wonder if I look that way too, concerned my mate has decided he wants someone else only weeks since finding out about the bond.

"Who is the woman? And why does she feel like she can demand you around?" I ask, folding my arms over my chest. I can't tell if I'm upset at him or not. I shouldn't be, if he hasn't done anything wrong, but I can't help myself.

Kastriv sweeps his hands through his hair. "She's not good, Aspen. But I can't get away from her."

"Why not?"

"It's a long story," he mutters, rolling his shoulders.

I bet it is, because everyone at that table regarded her as if they couldn't stand her, and yet were indebted to her. Even Larsen, who could kill her with a touch.

"She just told you we can't be together," I growl. "That's not exactly easy for me to hear, especially since you're not related to her and it's none of her business!"

Kastriv approaches me with cautious steps, clearly feeling as though he has done something wrong.

"Please don't think I'm turning away from you now," he breathes.

"Why wouldn't I think that? You're spending the night with someone else," I exclaim.

Even saying that I feel ridiculous...

"I have to. But trust me, I'm sleeping on the floor," he assures me quietly.

With my foot tapping against the floor, I examine him. I know he's telling the truth. I mean, he's my mate. Even though I've known Kastriv for so little time, I know his heart.

"Why is she telling you what to do like that? All the other Noble's didn't even intervene." Some may have disagreed, but they didn't push it.

Everyone is afraid of her, it seems. And they are meant to be the most powerful in the land.

"That's because she practically owns us. Everything we do is at her desire," he tells me solemnly.

"Why?"

He sighs, choosing his words carefully. "She has a lot against us. It's why we are Noble's, and not other's with a lot of Angel-blood."

"Will you tell me what she has against you?" I ask.

By the change in expression I can tell that whatever it is, it's dark and screwed up. It hurts my heart just seeing the pain lingering his eyes, and I just wish

"I can't..." he breaks off.

"We need to get you out of this."

"That's not going to happen," he admits, his defeated tone starting to beat down me too. "But she will not get her way with this. I'll just have to convince her..."