TWENTY

Word Count: 1615

~Aspen

Keo knows how to keep his word.

I thought he may have kept me for an extra day, but I've been in this small apartment in Territory Twelve for a couple days now.

And I haven't heard anything from Kastriv. No doubt he's panicking, but I doubt he will find me until Keo wants him too.

Which at this point, I'm convinced will be never.

"Focus," Keo murmurs.

I sigh. "I am focusing."

"No you're not."

"Maybe if you shut up, I could," I snap.

I know I probably should be scared of Keo. Yet over these past days of being near him so much, he's been strangely hospitable, even if he's annoying most of the time.

But he's been helping me tune into my magic. I haven't complained once about that.

I'm meant to be trying to connect to different places across the land. It's been draining, but at points, I actually feel as though I'm close to making a genuine connection to another place.

Why that's valuable, I'm not sure. Keo hasn't told me yet.

I can feel Keo's grin, even though my eyes are closed. "Think of your mate, pinning you to the bed, ready to-"

"Keo!" I growl.

I open my eyes, to see him leaning back against the couch, grinning at me. He's made all sorts of sly comments. Soon I'm going to lose my paitence and slap him across the face.

"Sorry, haven't slept together yet?" he asks, raising his dark brows. I roll my eyes. Surely it's only amusement that he is getting out of this, but I'm not sure.

"I found out he was my mate days ago," I grumble.

Not that I haven't thought about it...

"Get to it already."

I scrunch my nose up in disgust. He is the last person I would want to hear that from. It's not as if I'm telling him to sleep with Wren. Their relationship confuses me, but she apparently isn't his mate.

"For the record, it's none of your business," I remind him, drawing in a deep breath, closing my eyes again, trying to imagine a paradise land far away from this irritating man. Kastriv is there, in this place...it's almost as if I can see him.

Keo laughs. "No wonder you're so uptight..."

"How am I meant to concentrate with your grating voice in the background?" Not only is his voice annoying, but the words that come out of that sensuous mouth of his are equally irritating.

"Fine. Keep your eyes closed, take a breath, and concentrate," he instructs, resuming his serious voice.

As per his early teachings, I allow all the thoughts to slowly ebb from my mind. It's important to think of nothing until I can connect to the magic that is apparently dwelling deep within me, wary of coming out.

"Can you feel it?" he asks gently.

"Feel what?"

"The pull between us. The rarity of being a Demon creates a strong bond that cannot be broken. Wherever you are in the world, you can rely on your senses to bring you to a Demon," he tells me slowly.

As much as that bothers me, being connected to someone like Keo, I dig deep within myself, trying to find this bond that he talks about.

My entire body lightens. "I can feel it."