SIXTEEN

Word Count: 1493

~Aspen

It's strange, looking at those golden eyes, knowing he just tried to kill me.

Ellard once was my escape. The thought of being with a Noble was exciting, fun, and I dreamt of him taking me away from my life, from my abusive relationship.

And most nights, that thought kept me company. Especially when he would visit for political talks with Oliver.

But never once, back then, would I have thought he was capable of killing...

"I'm sorry, Aspen," he breathes, getting to his feet as I stumble back, still clutching his knife. He looks frantic, that he has been caught before he could successfully snuff me out.

I brandish the knife in front of me, as he takes a cautious step at me. "Please...please don't."

I may have the upper hand with his weapon, but I'm still in danger of being overpowered by him. His magic allows him to touch certain items and have subsequent visions, but he still towers over me with his large stature.

If I need to, I will kill him, though.

My mouth opens to speak, but the feeling over someone moving to stand next to me has me pausing.

"What are you doing?" Kastriv says, folding his arms over his chest as he regards his brother, another Noble.

Ellard steps back, holding his hands out defensively. "Kastriv...I can explain."

"Can you? Because it looked a lot like you were trying to murder Aspen," he growls.

Clearly he's seen enough to notice that, considering I'm the one now holding the knife at Ellard. Instinctively, I inch closer to Kastriv, knowing his brother wouldn't dare start a fight with him.

"I have to do it. You don't understand," Ellard insists, sweeping his hands through his dark, messy hair.

This isn't who he is. He's battling with something...

Kastriv shakes his head, not about to let him off without a clear reason. "Why? Because of what she said?"

I'm not sure who she is, but the mention of her has a shadow of fear passing over Ellard's face. Kastriv even sounds uncomfortable bringing it up, even as the one doing the accusing.

Ellard lets out a long, slow breath. "No. I had a vision."

"You touched something?"

"Yes, and it revealed to me Aspen touching a mirror, or some kind of version of herself. It all had dark connotations, like it would have world-ending consequences," he says darkly, looking at me with so much distrust I feel like the one who attempted murder.

I can feel Kastriv looking at me. What Ellard described sounds identical to the vision I had. Somehow, the two of us were connected through the horror of it.

"So you came here to kill her?" Kastriv seems to be growing more impatient. Were I not standing here, I get the feeling this interaction between the two would be far different.

"I can't put people at risk. If she lives, there is a chance of my vision coming true," Ellard insists.

I shudder, a dark feeling curling over me.

What if I am putting people in danger? There is a spirit trying to communicate with us that looks exactly like me. It can't be an innocent coincidence, and Ellard now having the same vision as me confirms that.

"You should have came to me first," Kastriv growls, suddenly advancing on his brother.

Ellard stumbles back as Kastriv pushes his chest. "I'm sorry Kastriv, but I can't risk this."