THIRTY SEVEN

Word Count: 1667

~Aspen

I stare at the Demon across the table from me, and then at my mate beside me.

"We didn't know who else to talk to," I say after what feels like decades of silence.

Kastriv wasn't happy when I brought up Keo and how we should meet and talk to him. Eventually he reluctantly agreed, letting Keo visit one of his many properties.

And now, we all sit in the same room, the tension palpable.

Keo looks at me. "Not when everyone wants you dead."

"How can you help Aspen?" Kastriv demands. He doesn't want Keo here for any longer than he needs to. I can't blame him, Keo does have an infinity for making situations uncomfortable.

Keo sighs, tipping his head back. "Look, I don't know much about spirits. It's not my kind of thing."

"You must know something." I'll beg him if I have to.

He sighs, tilting his head from side to side. He was very dramatic when I asked him to come here in the first place. Apparently he has far more important things to deal with, forcing me to remind him of his obligation to help me.

"My assumption from what I've been told is that the spirit was never trying to communicate with Kastriv. It was trying to communicate with you," Keo explains, gesturing at me.

Kastriv frowns, not looking convinced.

"I've known of this spirit since I was a kid. Long before I ever knew about Aspen," he says, rubbing the back of his neck.

I can tell the spirit is present, considering Kastriv's demeanour. He is tense, trying to keep his eyes on us when I know they want to wander to the spirit.

"That does not mean the spirit didn't know about her. Chances are, it is using you, Kastriv, as a way to get to her," Keo mutters, sounding annoyed that he even has to explain it.

I shudder. "What does it want?"

"You'll have to get in Kastriv's mind and not freak out again to get your answer." Keo smiles sardonically, almost like he is mocking me. I narrow my eyes, wondering if I should get in his head and control him so he remembers who he is dealing with.

"How do we know it's safe?"

Keo shrugs. "You don't. But what other choice do you have?"

For someone who has devoted their lives to saving Demon's, he seems to have an easy time sacrificing me to the spirits.

"She asked for my help..." I breathe, remembering the horror in her eyes, the desperation. It's even more disturbing knowing she looked exactly like me. It was like looking in a haunted mirror.

"Remember that spirts can be tricky. Many lie and deceive," Kastriv warns me. He looks dubious about this entire thing, but he knows there is no avoiding it.

"I don't think this one is trying to deceive," I tell him.

"There's only one way to find out." Keo motions his hand, trying to hurry us along. I wonder what other devious things he wants to get back to so desperately.

"I'll do it tomorrow," I decide. I don't want Keo present when I actually speak to this spirit.

The Demon grins, clapping his hands together. "Excellent."

A knock suddenly sounds from the door.

Everyone stiffens. We are all being hunted down by somebody, and the tinge of apprehension is evident in all our gazes as we look between each other.