THIRTY

Word Count: 1678

~Aspen

Kastriv didn't get his wish in getting us as far from the ball as possible.

We need to stay close, in case anything changes with Oliver. So instead of returning to our sweet, flower surrounding cabin, we are stuck on the ground floor of an old motel in Territory One.

I haven't wasted any time telling Kastriv about the agreement I've come to with Keo.

I figured I shouldn't keep anything from him, and he's going to find out eventually...

He stares at me. "This is a terrible idea."

"It's all I have." I rub the back of my neck, trying to avoid sitting down on the unstable double bed in the centre of the room.

I've seen the state of those sheets, and it's disturbing.

"I know you think you can trust him, but what benefit does he get from this?" Kastriv questions, trying to make sense of Keo's motivations.

"He's going to train me to get a firmer hold on my magic." Kastriv knows this by now, he just doesn't want to admit it.

Were it anyone else, he wouldn't mind. I know that. It's Keo that is the problem, and after being enemies for so many years, I don't blame my mate for having reservations.

Even I sometimes wonder if I'm being used Keo to get to Kastriv.

"Maybe I can train you," he rasps, pacing back and forth. "I have magic too, remember. Not like what he has, but it's powerful."

"It's different. He's-"

"A Demon. I know," Kastriv sighs.

"Trust me, I don't want to work with him. But what choice do I have?" I don't want to be in the dark anymore. Not after everything I went through with Oliver controlling my life.

Kastriv shakes his head, the city light streaming in through the window, drenching him in golden light and shadow.

"No one has found a way to communicate with the spirits I see. I'm the only one," he tells me softly. "As hard as Keo may try, it is unlikely he is going to find a solution."

"There has to be someone else. Keo can track them," I insist. Otherwise how else will we find out the truth about this spirit?

Knowing it may be present at any time is a horrible feeling.

Kastriv steps toward me, gaze softening. "What if we get an answer you don't want."

I shudder. What would that be? What would be the worst outcome? Anything that would draw Kastriv and I apart would be bad, but we are mates...we are destined to have nothing come between us.

"I'm sure we will. I doubt the reason you're seeing me as a spirit is a good one," I say with a shrug.

I can only hope he isn't seeing me as one because death is knocking on my door.

"Do you see that spirit often now?" I ask tentatively, not sure I actually want to know the answer.

When I look into his eyes, so warm and soft, I sometimes forget he is cursed to see spirits for the rest of his life, that he cannot escape his face. No wonder Keo thinks Kastriv is dripping in darkness.

Kastriv winces, leaning against the window sill. "Everyday."

"That must be hard."

He looks down at his feet, frowning. "It's like I'm watching you suffering. I know it's not you, but...what if you're connected to it and you will feel like her one day?"