SEVENTEEN

ON WATTPAD NOW

ON WATTPAD NOW

Word Count: 2078

~Aspen

I stare up at the ceiling, silently cursing myself.

No matter how long I lay in bed, I can't get the thought out of my head.

What if Kastriv is my mate?

It's such a selfish thought to be having. What would the chances be that we were? Almost nothing, and yet I lay here acting as if tomorrow I'm going to be revealing a life changing bond between Kastriv and so.

I sigh through my nose. There's no chance I'm going to sleep tonight. I'm going to have to speak to Kastriv.

He seemed to notice my discomfort with Kaia's conversation, so offered to sleep on the couch last night. I told him he didn't need to do such a thing, but he insisted.

Wrapping a robe around myself, I wander to the door, peeking out through the gap.

The deep glow from the fireplace alights Kastriv's body, sprawled out over the couch with a blanket far too small for his tall form laid over him.

I clear my throat, checking to see if he's sleeping. I hope he is, to save myself some embarrassment.

He flinches, leaning up to look over his shoulder at me.

"Everything okay?" he asks softly, checking around the room to see if he missed a danger that is threatening me.

Clutching my door, I lean back and forth on my feet. "Sorry, I know it's late..."

He's standing in an instant. "What's wrong?"

I shouldn't be calling on him like this, with these dangerous thoughts flowing through my mind. He just told me I should concentrate on healing myself from what I went through with Oliver.

And now I'm about to panic right in his face about whether we are mates or not.

"Can I talk to you?" I whisper, wary of Kaia listening in. "In here?"

I hold the bedroom door open, gesturing for him to enter. He stares blankly at me for a long moment, considering something, before he promptly nods.

"Of course."

He brushes past me, my entire being buzzing with life being in his presence again. There is no chance for me to get any sleep tonight.