THIRTY FOUR

Word Count: 1670

~Aspen

I'm forced to walk all the way across the city to the only place I know I'll have refuge.

I keep my head down and my hood up as I weave past people, trying not to draw any attention. If one person recgonises me from the alert Atari put out, I'll probably be killed in the middle of the street.

Eventually I make it to the apartment building in question. I've been here only once, when Oliver was out of town.

Stalking up the stairs, I look for the hidden key. This place belongs to Kaia, who should be out of this Territory with her family, safe and away from my monstrous husband.

Finding the key, I make my way inside, tensing as I hear voices floating from the kitchen.

Frowning I listen closer. It's Kaia, she's home, accompanied by the silken voice of a man.

Opening the door, I still. Keo is leaning back against the kitchen counter, dripping with seduction as speaks softly to Kaia, whose back is to me.

"I just don't get why you think people hate you," I hear her say, pushing at his shoulder playfully.

He gives her a long stare, intending on corrupting my sweet friend. "They fear me. But I won't hurt you."

"What is going on?" I question.

Kaia jumps, turning around. Her cheeks are flushed bright red and her eyes are glazed over. Who knows how long Keo has been here, blatantly seducing her for his own amusement.

"Ah, Aspen! I was wondering where you were," Kaia exclaims, smoothing her hair back.

"I didn't know you would be home..." I look over her shoulder at Keo, who watches me with a smug smirk on his face. He knows exactly what he is doing, proving he is even more infuriating than I first thought.

Kaia smiles weakly, as if there isn't an almost full blooded Demon standing behind her. "I came back to the city to see you."

"It's not safe..."

"I heard about what was revealed about you. I just wanted to make sure you were okay," she insists quietly.

"I'm okay Kaia. I'm worried about you," I murmur, leaning forward to hug her. Just feeling her arms wrap around me soothes all my concerns, until I pull back and see Keo again.

"I'm alright. Keo said he knew you..." Kaia says, motioning behind her.

My eyes narrow. "Did he now."

Keo grins, remaining strangely quiet. He obviously is enjoying have my friend wrapped around his finger, leaving her yearning for him with just his beautiful face and tempting words.

"He's not all that bad." She turns around, gesturing for him to join the conversation.

Kaia doesn't know who Keo is, evidently. She knows he's an attractive man who talked her into letting him into her apartment, but I doubt she is aware that he is a Demon like me, except far more powerful.

"Why are you here, Keo?" I ask bluntly.

"I've been slaving away looking into this little spirit problem for you. I thought you owed me some practicing of your magic." He folds his arms over his chest, eyes glistening.

I glance at Kaia, who frowns, confused. There is so much to explain to her, but with Keo here, I'm not sure it's the right time.

"Now?"

He tilts his head, that smile going nowhere. "While your mate is out of the way."

I hate the way he says that. Out of the way? No, Kastriv is hurting, in Atari's clutches and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get him out.