NINETEEN

Word Count: 1732

~Aspen

The effects of whatever Keo injected me with still linger as my eyes flicker open.

Groaning lowly, I turn my head. Keo knocked me unconscious, and now, I'm lying on a couch, looking out over a city.

I'm not sure if it's the drugs, or my lack of knowledge about these lands, but it takes me a moment to realise where I am. Territory Twelve, which is mostly just a large, practically never ending city.

"What are you going to do with her?" I hear from the other side of the couch.

It's an unfamilar female voice speaking. I stay rigidly still, wanting to hear more, to find out why Keo brought me here of all places.

"I could take her to the Haven, but I'm concerned her mate will find it," I hear Keo mutter irritably.

Haven? Is that where he is keeping all the Demon's? It makes sense that he wouldn't bring me to them right away, considering how vigorous about trying to protect them.

I'm not including in that just yet.

"Kill him," the female voice says casually.

"Trust me, there is nothing more I would love than I have a Noble die at my own hand, but you yourself know it's not that simple," Keo responds.

Admittedly, I feel my entire body relax at that. Even thought Keo is powerful, I know Kastriv would be able to hold his own. I don't need to worry about his safety.

Not when I'm the one lying at Keo's mercy.

"Fine, kill her then," the woman says flippantly. I feel like raising my head to see what kind of person could say such a thing, but I remain pinned to the couch, waiting for the right moment for them to realise I'm awake.

Keo takes a long pause before answering. "You know I can't."

"One Demon is not worth putting the rest of us at risk," she insists. She doesn't sound panicked, although I get the sense that if Keo doesn't kill me, she won't mind doing it herself.

"I know that...It's complicated," he mutters.

"Make your mind up fast."

Finally, I sit up, looking over the edge at the couch at Keo and the strange female. She stares at me with cold brown eyes, clearly judging me, considering how she is going to kill me.

"You're awake." Keo approaches the couch

"My head is killing me," I admit, resting my palm against the side of my head. Those drugs really did the trick.

Keo frowns, grabbing a glass from the table before handing it to me. "Here, drink this."

I take it warily, not sure if I trust any substances he gives me, even if it's clear it's water. Maybe the thought of Keo doing something kind doesn't sit well with me.

He sits down on a seat opposite me. "I apologise about injecting you. I had to transport you without risk of being followed."

"By Kastriv?"

He nods. "No hard feelings."

"I can control my mate just as much as I can control being a Demon. Don't punish me," I remind him coldly.

I wonder if Kastriv is trying to track me right now. He would have woke and realised I'm gone, and I doubt it would have taken him long to realise I contacted Keo. Whether he will be able to find me or not is an entirely different story.

Keo raises a brow. "But you don't trust your mate. He see's you as nothing more than a dangerous, uncontrollable monster."

Shaking my head, I put the water down. Kastriv doesn't seem me like that, he never has. He knows most Demon's aren't bad. But I can see why Keo may believe that.