26

y/ns pov

it's prom day! i can't wait! i'm so excited!

i do nothing all day until it's finally time to get ready, i get in the shower, i do a face mask, hair mask all the masks! i shower and then get out, then i do my makeup, i go all out, then i do my hair, curly, and then i put my dress on. i have never looked better in my life, shocker.

after i'm done getting ready, i go downstairs to where my mom is, i walk slowly down the stairs, making sure i don't trip, she just stares at me with a big smile on her face, cute. a tear forms in her eye, there is no way she is crying right now.

"you look gorgeous y/n." she compliments.

"thank you mom." i say.

"you have fun tonight okay!" she says pulling me into a hug.

"yes of course!" i reply as my mom giggles.

nick is my date, as friends of course. matts date is obviously rachel and chris... i don't know. nick picks me up in a huge limo, i've never seen one in real life but it's cool! i get into the limo with rachel, nick and matt, matts forgiven me, he was shipping me and chris this whole time, he was just mad because he didn't want to upset nick more, i get it.

we walk into the prom, lights beaming in every direction, the smell of alcohol. nick links my arm with his and i link mine with matt and matt links his and rachels, this is so fun already.

"this is amazing!" i say, matt nods.

nick and i grab onto each other's hands and start dancing, i decide not to drink as i'm in the nicest dress and would probably ruin it if i did. matt and rachel come over and grab onto our hands, we all start dancing, this is amazing but i can't stop thinking about how i'm meant to be here with chris.

the music stops and a girl comes onto the microphone, oh god, what's someone done?

"what's up somerville high!" a girl yells into the microphone, everyone cheers.

"let's make this prom the very best!" she yells again, and once again, everyone cheers.

we walk through into this memory lane, it shows pictures of this whole year and what we've achieved. matt, nick, rachel and i all link arms so that none of us get lost, we walk through and immediately there's a million pictures of chris playing lacrosse, matt too but chris stood out. there were like two pictures at most of me and nick, probably because nick was taking them and i was always watching him take them. we hear loads of people cheering at one thing but we don't know what.

"what's that about?" nick says.

"i don't know." i reply as all four of us walk over to it.

it's a recreation of the kissing booth, wow. there's loads of kids standing by it, damn, they really liked our idea. nick, matt and i all look at each other and smile before looking back at the booth. matt runs up too the booth and stands by a stand, he puts the blindfold on and waits for rachel to walk up to him, they kiss. nick and i look so proud of ourselves, we should be though.

it was at this exact moment that i finally started to feel okay, i wasn't thinking about chris, or nick, or anybody. i was a small part of something that mattered. the kissing booth meant something to people. it was gonna be remembered by everybody, and that made me happy. matt and rachel were still kissing whilst nick and i just stood there proud until i saw him. chris walked from behind the booth, this was where him and i started, i looked.. sad?

"y/n." chris said, smiling.

matt broke their kiss after hearing chris' voice, nick just had no emotion.

"i think you're next up." chris said, still smiling.

matt looked confused and nick still had no emotion, i didn't know what to do.

"i'm sorry chris, i can't." i said before walking away, his smile dropped.

"no, y/n, wait, please!" he called out, i stopped and turned around.

"why?" i asked.

"why should i?" i repeated.

"because i love you." chris replied, what.

"standing here, in front of everyone, i'm telling you that i love you." he said, i just can't.

"i'm sorry, i just, i can't keep hurting people that i care about because of you." he takes a breath.

"nobody wants us to be together." i start to tear up.

"well that may be true y/n, but what do you want?" he asks, he has a point.

"i want, i want.. i want to go." i say before running out of the hall.

"y/n!" chris calls out but i ignore him.

i hear a set of footsteps follow behind me, god why can't chris just leave me alone, then i hear another set of footsteps, chris and nick? oh god this is gonna be bad.

"hey, y/n! wait up!" i hear rachel call out, why is she following me?

as much as i feel bad doing this i don't want to be here, i ignore her and run off...