ǝʌıɟ-ʎʇuǝʍʇ

꧁꧂

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ꜰɪᴠᴇ: ʙʀᴇᴀᴋ ᴍᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ

"Who do you work for?" I stared up at him with the blandest face humanly possible. After six punches to the face and two to the stomach, I still hadn't brought up some fake idea of a secret spy organisation plotting against the Russians. Because it wasn't the truth.

"I go to middle school." I repeated, again, seeing the second ugly Russian move over as I spoke. "I'm serious-" Panic grew within me by the moment, though. "I'm in the middle school's AV club, and I don't even know why... it's high school next year anyways- but the other two? Look at their outfits, they work for an ice cream parlour. They're dressed up as sailors. Scoops Ahoy. It's above us- at the mall-"

I guess the second ugly Russian didn't wanna hear it, though, because I then continued to obtain a punch to the face. Rule number twenty-three: don't talk about ice cream to Russians, they don't like it...

"Uncalled for..." I murmured, looking down at my lap. The first one stared right at me, waiting for the response he was needing. As I concentrated on the whole breathing thing, I told him the same thing, over and over again. "I'm telling you. I'm a middle school, soon to be high schooler, with a severe liking to my best friend." I say, stating only the facts. "We're not spies. We're people who didn't mean to get here- it was an accident-"

"Who do you work for?"

And it went on. It went on and on before he couldn't stand it anymore, leaving me alone in the room, taking ugly Russian number two with him.

It was nice to have a moment of silence there and then: to be alone right there and then after so long of not having that. Sure, the handcuffs hurt like a bitch, and there was definitely an easier way to get such a silence than breaking into a super-secret Russian base.

Ever since school had broken up for the summer, Max had left my side only so many days in those few weeks. And even then, it would be for a date with Lucas, which she'd immediately report back to me in the evening at a sleepover she'd chosen to go ahead with on the spot.

Max...

I wonder what she'd tell me to do if she knew this was what I was up to right now? Would she be mad I didn't go with Dustin? I couldn't fit in any ventilation system at that moment with my stomach, though, and that was fact. Would she tell me to stop being a hero? It wasn't like I wanted to be an American hero like Steve.

I just wanted to be happy with her.

The door opened up suddenly, two more Russians walking in and dragging an unconscious boy's body across the floor. They practically threw the boy on the floor, and after they did, they left just as quickly as they'd entered.

Kneeling down beside him, I quickly called for him to wake up, slapping the side of his face lightly before seeing the bruising, the blood and the cuts on the side of his face. He'd not had it well with them, that was for sure.

"Steve? Wake up." I told him, breathing a little heavily before checking for a pulse. Grabbing his wrist, I waited, moving my two fingers slowly across his skin in hopes to find one. What was this? A threat? Finding the pulse, I let out a sigh of relief, momentarily, before a door on the side opened.

"GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME-" Robin shouted at the two men as they then continued to throw her over to where me and the boy were. "Steve?" Her head turned to the boy who was sprawled across the floor, shaking him to wake. "Steve?"

"Robin, he's unconscious." I say, causing her eyes to meet with mine. "He's not gonna wake right now." She nodded slightly as the door buzzed and opened, with a guy with this big special hat came in, proving that he must be some big deal to the Russians.