ǝuo

꧁꧂

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ: ꜱɪᴛᴛɪɴ' ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀᴄᴋꜱᴇᴀᴛ

"LUCAS? PARK? DO YOU COPY?" Hearing Dustin's voice from the radio I groaned, picking it up from the other end of the bed and listening. "I've got four quarters. What's your haul?"

Smirking down at the money in my hands, I pressed the button on its side and spoke. "Double that shit, over." I told him proudly before Lucas spoke up.

"Take your puny haul of four and multiply it by five." The other boy said. Bitch.

"How?" I could hear the disbelief from Dustin.

"While you guys were scrounging around like a homeless bum, I mowed Old Man Humphrey's lawn." Lucas explained, causing me to pull a face.

"Old Man Humphrey?" Dustin repeated in shock.

"He's still alive?" I added on the question. I haven't seen him in a while, okay? I assume shit.

"Just call Mike already." Lucas told us.

"You call Mike." I say, pulling a face.

"I have to go take a shower from doing real work, like a man." Rolling my eyes, I saw Will at my bedroom door, listening in, laughing at the expression I had on show. "Over and out."

"That bitch." I say, radio on for Dustin to also hear and laugh at. "You find Mike." I tell him after a moment of seeing the look on Will's face. "I get the feeling Mom is about to kill me for finding out where I got the money..."

As the boy chuckled again, he asked where. "Nowhere for you to worry about. Over and out" (Johnathan's wallet) as I finished my sentence, I dropped the radio onto the bed and pushed the antenna down. "Hey horse, why the long face?" I asked my brother, still at the door.

"Mom's still not sure about us going tonight." Will said, reluctant to even say it. Sighing at his words, he smiled at my exhausted ways. "I tried talking to her, Park." He always tried his best, really, but I got the feeling Will thought he wasn't enough for others. He was enough.

"It's fine." I smiled, holding back any uncalled-for words for my brother to hear as I stood up from my bed. "MOM?" I called for her from the other side of the house, no interests of actually moving any further from my room's door frame.

"PARK, IF THIS IS ABOUT-" Before Joyce could even finish her sentence, I cut in with my lovely sense of humor.

"WE'RE NOT DOING DRUGS, DON'T WORRY." I say, giving Will a little smirk, while he still looked nervous. It didn't make that much sense to me; how Will and I can be twins, but act and feel almost the opposite.

"PARK!" My mother shouted my name like it was a curse as she started towards where the two of us stood, angry look for me. "Do not joke about that." She told me, now giving me a stern warning, pointing a singular finger at me. Oh, shiver me timbers. "If Will is going to go, you have to be with him the whole time..." Picking up the jacket off my chair, I nodded as she listed on, and on, what I had to do if we were to go arcade. "And Park? You can't let him out of your sight-"

Pulling a face at Mom, I argued. "You're treating him like a toddler." I told her, making Joyce sigh while Will just stood there, desperate to try and beat my score on Pac-Man like he has for the last three months. "We'll be fine, I'll glue him to my hip or something." As I spoke to Mom, I gestured for Will to book it towards the door.

"Where'd you get your money?" Joyce asked after a moment of silence, with Will slowly walking down the hallway, trying to pretend he was still listening.