1

I looked up at my ceiling. The layers of glass finally stopped showing when the highest point was a coffee table that obscured the view from above. It was a rich, mahogany color, with a smooth texture that softly whispers "feel me". I rolled onto my right side and stared through the wall. They told us at school that in the old days, houses were made out of wood or concrete or whatever other non-transparent material it was, and the pipes and cables were different colors so the plumbers and electricians could go through and find what was what. Now, everything is clear.
When I was very little, I once asked the oldest looking person I saw if they grew up with the old stuff, blocker houses we dubbed them. He said, "heavens no child! How old do you think I am!?". With a cute kid's voice I replied: "like a dinosaur!" and ran off before they could beat me. I took so many beatings as a child for asking questions. The adults always told me to stop with my "hideous" habit and to silently observe like a good girl, like everyone else. But, silently observing is boring, hence I started restlessly shuffling on my bed. It was comfotable, sure, but I just wasn't tired yet, so I hopped up off my bed and stumbled down the stairs. Another thing we "learned" in school was how they made the floors not slippery, but kept them clear. I think it was because part-time humanitarian scientist lamented at the fact people kept breaking their necks when falling on polished glass, or someone who thought textured glass wasn't easy enough to see through. Whatever the case, it's not dangerous and it's brilliant.
The sun was starting to kiss the horizon, which meant that adolescents weren't supposed to be outside anymore, but the authorities barely cared when you were about old enough, and especially looked old enough. It gave them less work to do each night anyway. I flinched as the blaring, piercing trumpet alarm went off that meant tonight was a festival night. I had completely forgotten about it, but that didn't matter. Actually, it was better. It meant that I could go get a trinket or some food, maybe buy a comrade for a night if I was interested. I tried buying a comrade for a night once, since the older people always talk about it, but the vendor laughed at me and told me I was too young for the type of comrade he was selling. I figured I should just stick with the comrades I usually use, they're free, and there's no weird touching.
People poured into the streets from the glass towers in fancier clothes. I looked up at my room and saw that the adult who lived below me was changing, and the one above had gotten. A comrade for the night that had yet to start. I made a mental note to come back as late as I could, as the sound of camaraderie, as it was called, which had always bothered me. I kept my head low and body toward the edge of the street so I wouldn't bump into anyone, or at least anymore than was bound to happen. The streets had been freshly swept in preparation of the festival, which was nice, because it meant I didn't risk getting my getting impaled on discarded needless or tripping on trash.
I turned off of the wide streets into the narrower ones that symbolized the newer parts of the town. Even the glass looked different. Supposedly, it did a better job of osmosis and thermal equalization as well as waterproofing, but that's just what the mindless advertisement said. It was pretty how it was tinted mint green though. The streets got to the point that only two people could walk side by side and I could see the orchard. The beautiful random assortment of trees and animals and plants that existed way before the town, and rumored way before the original town. The authorities disliked people venturing into the orchard, because it meant they had to come in and for the idiots. Funny; idiots looking for idiots.
I carefully jumped over a few roots to relieve my boredom, and successfully failed at stopping my face from meeting dirt. I spat out the recycled organic matter and kept going until I saw the ten foot clearing I always went to. This time, something caught my eye. It twinkled just a tad in the sunlight and left a geometrical shadow that was expected, except for the slight purple hue. I made my way over to the anomaly and picked it up. While I was crouched down, a member of the authorities came out from behind some of the trees.
"What are you doing in the orchard?" he asked
"Exploring with my eyes" I responded as I pointed to my eyes.
The man sighed at my answer. "Get on home, curfew is in session"
"Yes sir!" I sounded off and hurried along. I hurried not only for impressions, but also for emotions. It isn't that it was impossible to not tell the truth, or against the rules, but hiding what I found felt dirty, and illegal. Once you're past the age of five or so, they punish you for hiding things.
I danced my feet around the tree roots that stuck out from the dark, mulch ground, trying not to eat any that time. I briefly stopped to adjust the object's position underneath my out jacket so it wouldn't fall out while I was running. I held the object up to the light first to observe its violet brilliance. The inside had little scratches on the inside, but it was too dark to see them all, so I tucked it away and stared back towards the town.
The town was finally in my sights, as well as the glassy buildings that caught the dwindling light. I could see the people in their rooms with comrades for the night, most of them, or people my age playing their games or watching the toons, or children that were even younger drawing on paper. I snaked my way through the crowded streets of the town and into my building, up the grippy steps, and into my room. I love how the rooms have insulated doors, it meant that I could use the heating unit and chilling unit, unlike my comrades who live in older buildings.
I turned on my ceiling and wall lights and flopped onto my bed. I took the object out of my pocket and held it to examine the interesting scratches. They seemed to make words, but I couldn't be sure at first. Itwas chicken scratch, but, I read: DON'T LET THEM KNOW. It confused me, so I just set it on the table and got ready to go to sleep.