✧24✧

It's decided, I hate the middle seat.

This whole car ride, I have been stuck between Max and Lucas. That's not the problem, the problem is that Lucas keeps looking in Max's direction but I'm in the way, and I can say I'm not comfortable. 

The first stop Max wanted to do, was her trailer home. I'm guessing she has letters for her family. We arrived not too long after leaving Mike's house. 

"Alright this better be fast Mayfield" Steve says to the young girl as he put the car in park.

"Twenty seconds" she gets out of the car and slams the door.

"That thing's got batteries in it, right?" Steve asks, gesturing to the walkie in Dustin's hands.

"I'm not even answering that question" Dustin simply replies and looks away, "Yes, it has batteries" 

"Yeah, I got it" he declares, "So, uh, you guys really think we can stop this, Vecna guy?" 

"I mean, we've been able to stop every thing the Upside Down sent our way so far. I like to think we'll beat this one too, it's less depressing" I say while looking out of the window.

"I'm with Avery, I think we can do it. We always do" Dustin agrees.

"You know, I want to believe we can win this too, but, I don't know... this seems, different" Steve speaks before opening the car door and heading out.

"What are you doing?" I ask him.

"Relax, I'm not gonna go after her, I just want fresh air, you guys stink" he leans on the car.

"Go to Hell Steve" I roll my eyes. Dustin, along with Lucas, waits for Max outside of the car. I just stay inside.

"Hey that was longer than 20 seconds" Steve call out. I look through the windshield to see Max was coming back, and she wasn't in a good mood. Worst than earlier, "Hey, woah, woah, are you alright?" he asks, concerned for her.

"I'm fine, just drive" Max opens the car door and sits back next to me.

Everyone got back into their seat and Steve starts the car again.

"Did something happen?" Lucas asks Max.

Once again, she ignores him, "Can we please just go"

I take her hand in mine and immediately, her head shoots towards me. I send her a smile, knowing she didn't want to talk, but I knew she still needed someone there for her. She gives me a weak smile back and turns her head towards the window again.

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

The rest of the drive is pretty silent. Not even Steve and Dustin argued, which is rare. Max stared outside her window the whole time, not saying one word, except when we got to a certain intersection.

"Turn here" 

"Here?" Dustin turns to her for comfirmation. She nods slightly.

Steve turns where she asked. I try to see where we were, the only sign I see is Roane Hill Cemetery. It makes sense now, she must've been saving one last letter. And this one, she couldn't really give it in person. She came to see Billy.

Once Steve stops driving, Max doesn't waste a second to get out, and make her way to the graveyard. Lucas goes after her, desperately trying to talk. I also get out, but I don't follow them, they need privacy. I just sit on the hood of the car.

"Avery, Jesus! Get off! You'll dent my car!" Steve says, his head outside the window. 

"Are you calling me fat?" I tilt my head.