CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT || epilogue

EPILOGUE

*・゚:*・゚

IVANNA SAT AT a table with Steve, smiling at the laughing kids and enjoying the drink in her cup. Sam was playing with his nephews and chatting with everyone around him. Sam's sister, Sarah, approached the table, smiling at Ivanna.

"Thank you," she said, and nodded when Ivanna's brow went up, "for sending him to the boys and I when we were threatened. It meant a lot to know that Sam's friends cared about us too."

"He's like a brother to me," Ivanna nodded toward him, tilting her head, "I didn't want him worrying about you guys even more when we had issues as well."

Sarah's smile widened and she nodded her head, placing a hand on the table, patting it softly. "Thank you."

Ivanna nodded, taking a sip of her drink and looking at Steve. He watched her fondly and she looked at him in confusion, "Need something?"

"Just admiring, that's all,"

She scoffed and looked away, attention suddenly going to the new guest. Bucky wandered in with a cake, playing with the kids that bombarded him and wandering through the party. Ivanna chuckled, watching him approach Steve and Ivanna. He set the cake down and Steve welcomed him, lifting his cup slightly. Bucky grinned at his best friend.

Hours passed at the party, people taking pictures with Sam and kids playing with Bucky. When music began playing, Sam pulled Ivanna to dance with him. She laughed and joined in.

Their time at the party didn't last too much longer, as Steve had promised Ivanna they'd make a trip before returning to the party. She wasn't aware what it was, but still said her goodbyes when it was time for them to leave anyway.

Steve and Ivanna had a flight to catch back home, which was fine with the blonde. She had convinced Steve to try an live as normally as possible, which worked. He'd forget about his "hero lifestyle" as long as she requested.

They had arrived at the airport and received their tickets, and Steve kept Ivanna's from her.

"Im a grown woman, I can manage my own ticket," she grumbled, reaching for the paper while Steve kept it out of her reach, "Steven."

"Will you stop?" He looked over at her teasingly, but she did not find humor in this. The blonde's eyes met the back of her head, but Steve offered his hand. She took it and they approached a few benches to wait for their flight. Ivanna eventually caved and read Steve's mind.

"Steve," she said softly. He hummed, looking over at Ivanna with a small smile, "I just wanna go home."

He frowned in realization, nodding his head, "Yeah. But I need to make a few stops first."

Steve knew how much Ivanna missed Natasha, and he also knew how scared she was to take the Black Widow mantle rather than share it with her best friend and sister. It was part of her struggle the whole time she was away, and Steve knew that.

Ivanna never liked being addressed as the Black Widow, no matter how often she was the one to work with Steve. In 2014 when they together were named the biggest enemies of SHIELD, or in 2018 when she helped Steve break everyone out.

No matter what Steve was doing, she was the one at his side. Which is why Steve felt it important to bring her to the Avenger memorial. Their flight was quiet, as she mulled over ways to get out of this.

Ivanna wanted nothing more than to curl up with Steve, and begin their domestic lifestyle with superhero life as their side life. But as she and Steve got off the plane she was struck with reality.

She hadn't set foot in New York since the attack on the city. And she hadn't been in the state since the battle against Thanos. She had begged Steve to get out of New York, too much had happened for her liking.

She shrugged a jacket on, her and Steve joining hands as they walked through the city. In the 10 years since the battle, it had returned to its original state. There was still evidence of the damage that once was.

Ivanna smiled at certain things. A little coffee shop that she and Natasha would always drag Clint to. Or even the Shwarma restraunt Tony had been so eager to go to. She missed her friends. It dawned on her that they'd never spoken to Bruce or Thor or even Clint after going their separate ways.

Steve led her to the battle of New York memorial. She watched as it grew closer, the plaque sitting in the middle daring her to walk away. And she almost did.

"You never got to see this, but..." Steve trailed off as his eyes skimmed over the plaque, reading his name and all of their friends' names who were engraved on there.

Ivanna walked closer, eyeing the plaque. She glanced back at Steve, "This is where we first assembled?"

He breathed a little chuckle and nodded his head. He pointed backward, "I'm gonna get us some coffee. But I'll let you visit."

She pressed her lips together, forcing herself to smile before she turned back to the plaque. She felt tears forming as she exhaled a shaky breath. Reading the plaque.

"On this sight in 2012, during the Battle of New York, the Avengers first assembled.
Steve Rogers
Tony Stark
Thor Odinson
Bruce Banner
Ivanna Niloleavna
Natasha Romanoff
Clint Barton"

She breathed a little laugh and smiled as her tears broke free. She could remember each of these people fondly, and she always would. Ivanna whistled softly, and remained silent for a few moments.

"Я скучаю по тебе, Наталья..."

Ivanna hung her head, staring at the ground as she tried to regain her composure. She was soon interrupted by Steve's excited thoughts. She slowly spun around to see him carrying a golden lab puppy. Her eyes widened and she laughed.

Ivanna covered her mouth with her hands as he walked to her, "You said you wanted a puppy right?"

"He's so cute," she brought her hands to the puppy's head, scratching at his ears and cooing at him while he barked happily, "Steve-"

"I planned this shorlty after Sam became Cap, they were willing to hold him just until we got here," he smiled proudly at Ivanna, adjusting how he was holding the puppy so she could get a better look.

"Oh, thank you," she smiled up at Steve, reaching up to rest a hand on his cheek and peck his lips before returning to the puppy in his arms.

Steve smiled as she pet the puppy, scratching at his ears and murming about how he was such a cute boy, "So...whats his name?"

Ivanna let Steve lower the puppy to the ground so he could walk, but she instantly took the leash as she took a step toward Steve. He looked at her with a raised brow.

"I kind of like the name Tony..."

"Vanna,"

The blonde laughed and shook her head, "I'm kidding. I promise. How about...Flint?"

"Flint," Steve looked down at the puppy sniffing at their shoes, "could grow on him."

"On him or you?"

"Both,"

Steve wrapped an arm around Ivanna's waist, and she gently tugged the leash to get their new puppy's attention. He began to trod alongside the pair, happy as can be while getting distracted by small things.

Ivanna smiled at the warmth of Steve's lips on her temple, closing her eyes briefly as she wrapped an arm around him.

"I love you, Steve," she mumbled.

"I love you," he said soflty, and this time she stayed with him. At his side, the way she'd promised all those years ago.

༛༛ ༛ ༛༺༻༛ ༛ ༛༛

Я скучаю по тебе, Наталья = I miss you, Natalia