CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE || pushing your luck

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE, pushing your luck

*・゚:*・゚

THE GROUP WALKED through what Ivanna registered as an abandoned warehouse of sorts. Sam and Bucky led the way with flashlights, listening to Bucky's idea of letting Zemo out. The three Avengers had protested the idea, and Bucky tried to continue explaining why they should do it.

"What are you talking about? You wanna break Zemo outta jail?" Sam's voice was echoey as they walked through the room, "And where the hell are we Buck, have you lost your mind?"

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing," Bucky was annoyed with all of the questions Sam had but would explain himself anyway.

"What we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars," Sam retorted.

"We also have right Super Soldiers that are loose,"

"Zeno's gonna mess with our minds," Sam reminded Bucky, "Especially yours. No offense."

They came to a stop as Bucky found a pole, flipping a switch and generating the power of the building they were in, "Offense. Super Soldiers go against everything he believes in. He is crazy, but he still has the last code."

"And I've been on the wrong side of that code," Sam followed after Bucky, "and so have you. He blew up the YN, he killed King T'Chaka and framed you for it. Did you forget that? Do you think the Wakandans forgot about it? It's a rhetorical question. They didn't. I know why this matters to you, but it's pushing you off the deep end."

"Bucky," Ivanna spoke up, moving to stand beside Sam, both of the men glanced at her while she spoke. Her hands fell to her hips as she tried to convince Bucky out of this, "it's not exactly a good idea to work with the man who set all of us up for failure. Steve's life was out in danger because of Zemo, yours. Sam's. Nat's, mine, hell even Sharon's just because she helped us. It's not a good idea."

"We don't know how they're getting the serum," Bucky shook his head, "we don't even know how many of them there are. Look, let me just walk you through a hypothetical. Can I walk you through a hypothetical?"

"What did you do?" Sam asked coldly.

"Bucky-" Ivanna said, her eyes widening while Steve approached the three ready to confront his best friends and Ivanna.

"I didn't do anything," Bucky spoke suspiciously, he glanced at Ivanna and she raised her brow. He knew she had already read his mind, and now she was pissed. He sighed, "The weakest point in any system isn't soft. The hardware. It's the meat ware. The human element."

He gestured to his head, watching Ivanna roll her eyes and turn, walking away from Bucky, but he continued, "Now in this lockup, it's nine to one, prisoners to guards. And if two prisoners start fighting, the protocol says four guards have to respond."

"So why would two prisoners randomly start fighting at that moment?" Sam questioned.

"Who knows, it could be many-"

"Because dumbass slipped one a note with a death threat on it, talking about another prisoner," Ivanna looked at Bucky dead on and tilted her head, glaring at him, "right?"

"Could you not do this whole looking into my mind thing? It's crushing my plans," Ivanna shrugged, Bucky continued, "the point is if these things escalate. Lockdown procedures would have to be initiated, with all those bodies flying around left and right, wouldn't be hard to slip down a hallway or two."