•~chapter twenty-seven: feelings~•

"Who can answer this question, the one that is written right here on the board?"

Surprisingly, everyone's hand shot into the air. Mind you, not everyone knew the answer; all they wanted was extra credit points from their favorite history teacher, Rengoku Kyojuro.

Rengoku ignored all the flailing hands in the air as his piercing gaze fell upon Kanao, who was fidgeting in the back.

"Tsuyuri, can you answer the question?" Rengoku said enthusiastically. Kanao gave a little jolt, and she looked down at her lap, not knowing what to say.

Perhaps Rengoku felt the little twinge of awkwardness that filled the room, so he quickly looked around and asked Zenitsu to give him the answer.

Kanao jolted again when she saw that Rengoku chose a different student to answer the question. She looked down at her lap and she began to squirm. Tanjiro, of course, noticed this, due to his caring and worry for Kanao.

"Erm...Kanao~san, Rengoku-sensei wasn't trying to bully you or anything." Tanjiro said in what he thought to be a reassuring tone. "He just noticed that you felt, well, uncomfortable!"

Kanao gave a slight nod at these words, but someone had been watching their entire exchange.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

When it was time for the class break, all the students just milled around the classroom, occasionally coming to a stop to chat with friends.

This was also the case with Tanjiro, Kanao, Inosuke, and Zenitsu. While Inosuke and Zenitsu bickered over who knows what, Tanjiro felt an odd presence staring at his back.

He turned around to see one of his classmates, Enatsu Chiasa. Her eyes were looking in Kanao's direction, and her eyes looked oddly sparkly.

Tanjiro sweatdropped, as he could practically hear her thinking, So, Tanjiro~san can read minds, huh? That gives me a fabulous idea!

•~•~•~•~•~•~•

After Kanao had headed off to change for P.E, Tanjiro turned to Chiasa and he said, "Was there something you needed, Chiasa-san?"

Chiasa flinched when her name was called, but she immediately regained her composure.

"Tanjiro-san! I noticed you are Kanao~san's best friend," she began, oblivious to the fact that Tanjiro had blushed. "And you know a lot about how she feels, and it's like you can read her mind!"

"Uh-huh," Tanjiro said. He sweatdropped, wondering when Chiasa would just get to the point.

"Uh, so can you teach me how to read Kanao~san's feelings, since I want to be her friend too?" she said quickly. Tanjiro nodded, but he suddenly felt an ominous presence behind him.

He turned around to see none other than Shinobu. She was clutching a heavy stack of documents, and she looked...scary and angry.

"Ara? You can read my sister's mind?" Shinobu said threateningly, as she placed her hand on Tanjiro's shoulder. "Teach me how you do it, since I'm her sister and I should know her the best!"

She finished this last sentence and she dug her nails a little deeply into Tanjiro's shoulder. Tanjiro, who was obviously worried for his future well-being, said, "Of...of course I'll teach you, Shinobu-san. Meet me and Chiasa-san in the auditorium after a few minutes."