chapter 7

"ferris, you think the car's alright?" cameron asks as the quartet stand in sears tower, their getting the best view of chicago and he's still worried about the car.

  "sure." ferris says, obviously not caring about the priceless car right now. "this is the world's tallest building." ferris says, he's definitely wrong but margot thinks his tone of voice could convince anybody that sears tower was the tallest building ever.

  "ferris, i don't feel to good. can we leave soon?" cameron says miserably, margot looks to him. he doesn't look sick, he looks nervous and bored.

  ferris ignores him as he begins to climb onto the metal hand railing, "here, climb up on this." he says as he does so, margot and sloane following his lead. "come on, everybody." he says referring to cameron, whose feet are still played on the groun as he leans against the railing. "cameron." he says, well almost demands. cameron steps on the hand railing, joining the other 3. "ok, now, lean forward against the glass like this." he says before thudding his head against the glass; sloane, margot, and cameron watching before doing the same.

  "oh my god." sloane says.

  "jesus." margot murmurs as she looks down on the city, feeling funky as she watches over.

  ferris chuckles at his girlfriend and sister's reaction as he looks down, impressed by the view, he claims it's the best way to see the city, "isn't it great?"

  "the city looks so peaceful from up here." sloane says softly before ferris quickly responds,

  "anything is peaceful from 1,353 feet."

  "crazy to think every single one of those people is like a person, y'know. they all have their own lives." margot says as she watches people walk on the streets, someone unloads a truck in front of a pizza joint, and some pigeons fly down on what looks to be a discarded hot dog.

  "i think i see my dad." cameron says.

  ferris ignores him as he steps down, "we've got a lot to do, let's go." ferris says, ready to leave and go onto the next thing.

  "shit." cameron says as he still watches down, "that son of a bitch is down there somewhere." he says as margot and sloane follow ferris's lead by getting down.

  "come on." margot whispers with a jerk of her head as she looks to cameron, ferris and sloane waiting next to her, "cam." she says in the same tone that ferris used a minute ago to get him up there.

  "coming." he says as he gets down, his voice still miserable. as the day goes on he continues seeing the similarities between ferris and margot, some of these he likes but others he doesn't really care for. he doesn't particularly care for the pushy gene. he joins the group as they walk to the elevators, margot walking beside him as he still thinks about his dad and how pissed he'll be when he finds out why've taken the car.

  as soon as the four of them are back on the ground ferris leads them down south franklin street, he has a plan already. that plan is to go to the chicago board of trade, it's pretty much just a place where traders go and yell and put numbers on their head and wear colored jackets. to margot it's uninteresting but to ferris it's fine entertainment for some weird reason.

  margot watches cameron as he sits next to her, he mimics the traders, throwing up numbers and gestures as he hums. ferris stands in front of sloane, cameron, and margot and watches out over the traders before turning to face them.

  "you wanna get married?" he asks, his attention on sloane. margot raises her brows at her brother, as cameron makes a raindrop noise with his mouth.

  "sure." sloane says nonchalantly, but ferris looks anything but nonchalant and unserious.

  "today?" he asks, she responds with a small laugh. "i'm serious."

  she takes a breath in and shakes her head, "i...i'm not getting married." she says with a small laugh as cameron continues to make a raindrop noise with his mouth, his arm stretching around margot's chair.

  "why not?" ferris asks, margot still unsure if he's serious about this or not. for all she knows he could be dead serious.

  "what do you mean, "why not?" think about it." she says with not a touch of anger in her voice, only happiness.

  ferris makes a confused but thoughtful face as he directs his eye contact at the floor next to sloane, "well, no, besides being to young, having no place to live, you feeling a little awkward about being the only cheerleader with a husband, gimme one good reason why not." ferris says, margot chuckles lightly, she looks to him and rather than looking amused by the two love birds he looks pensive.

  "i'll give you two good reasons why not, my mother and my father." cameron says, sloane turning to look at him. it's kinda ironic that he says this as he's freaking out inside, his arm nearly wrapped around the girl he loves but if you were to ask him he'd tell you that love isn't real. "they're married and they hate each other. you've seen 'em. am i right?" cameron asks the bueller's. margot thinks back to her times at the frye house, it's so clean that you're afraid to breathe and his parents definitely do hate each other, dinner is always awkward and uncomfortable, morris'll say something crass and ms. frye will get upset and then it's just uncomfortable for the rest of dinner and then you all retreat to cameron's room, faint noises of arguing outside.

  "so what?" ferris asks.

  "well, it's like that car. he loves the car. he hates his wife." cameron deadpans, margot raises her brows at sloane as ferris looks at cameron intensely. the air in the room is now heavy rather than lighthearted.

  "well ferris doesn't have a car." margot says, trying to lighten the mood. sloane holds in a small chuckle going to shake her friends foot as she sits above her.
  cameron doesn't respond, he goes back to making raindrop noises with his mouth before the group gets up.

  they begin their walk to ferris's next destination, chez luis. it's this super fancy, snooty, french restaurant that the bueller kids's dad goes to for business meetings, so fancy that the bathroom has a old man/woman that hands you hand towels. weird but luxury is weird.

  as they walk sloane whispers to ferris before he falls behind and joins margot and cameron as they walk in silence, the air around the four still heavy after cameron's little spiel in the trade room. sloane nods her head at margot, signifying that margot should join her in front of the boys. margot walks to join sloane before wrapping her arm around sloane's waist, mirroring he brother. sloane smiles and giggles at her before beginning to speak,

  "you've gotta get cameron out of this funk." sloane says, margot wonders for a moment why she has to be the mender of this but then she thinks "well sloane and cameron are friends but not close enough (yet) and cameron is on his last straw with ferris." and realizes that for now it leaves her to fix this. "he's more uptight than normal, and ferris and i are just worried about him- i'm sure you are to." margot nods at her friends words, glancing back at cameron. as he walks beside his friend he looks down at the pavement, the same pensive look resting on his face.

  "yeah, i'll give it a go." margot says with a small smile at sloane before looking to ferris, he's running his mouth about something, cameron obviously not listening. he's probably talking about some landmark or lunch or something random. "as long as he doesn't hate me to much already." margot says with a small smile, sloane giggles and shakes her head.

  "i promise he does not hate you."