chapter thirty-six. make up

I pulled into Lydia's driveway yet again, getting a certain feeling of Deja Vu as I put my car in park. I didn't turn to look at her. I just stared at my steering wheel, trying to gather my thoughts. A lot had just happened.

Allison's mom tried to murder Scott. She tried to poison him with wolfsbane, hoping that it would look like he had an asthma attack and couldn't get to his inhaler in time. I mean, what kind of sick person does something like that? Scott's never hurt anybody. So I could only imagine that she tried to kill him so that he had no choice but to stay away from Allison.

On another note, Jackson and whoever was controlling him got away. And Lydia saw everything go down, including Scott's transformed, full on werewolf face when I lifted him to Derek's car. So she knew. I just didn't know if she knew that I was supernatural too.

"Devin?" Lydia called finally, causing me to look up at her as I came back to reality.

"Yeah." I said emotionlessly, still trying to figure out what I was going to say.

"Are we gonna talk about... what just happened?"

I nodded, scratching my head, "Yeah, right. Um, it's just a lot to unpack tonight -"

"Devin." Lydia interrupted, an indiscernible look in her eyes. She knew I was still trying to avoid this. And she wasn't going to let me this time. "This. All of this, is what you were hiding." I swallowed thickly before I nodded silently. She didn't say anything, she just nodded as well. "So, Scott is a -"

"Yeah." I answered lowly, sighing as I ran my hand through my hair.

Lydia bit her lip anxiously, "Are... are you -"

"No. But I am something. Not entirely human. I just don't know what." I mumbled as I fiddled with my fingers. I felt ashamed. I felt naked and wrong and weird. The silence she held was making me even more nervous. I pretty much knew where it was going. I sighed, just wanting this conversation to end. "Look, I know - this probably changes a lot for you and it's a reality that I didn't want to ever face but I knew it was inevitable. I'm sorry for not telling you about everything, I was just... ashamed and I - I didn't even know how to explain it because there's still so much I don't know about myself. I know it's a lot to accept so... I won't blame you if you really don't wanna do this anymore." Lydia looked at me in confusion for a moment before she smiled softly, shaking her head as her eyes started to water. "What?" I asked in confusion.

The strawberry-blonde shook her head, "You thought I would wanna break up with you because of this?"

I looked at her blankly, "Well, you kind of already did break up with me. But, yeah, I did."

Lydia shrugged, "Well yeah, but that was before when I thought you were like hiding dead bodies in your closet or something." I looked at her in confusion, the girl's eyes trailing down. She then took my hands in hers, causing my heart to jump. "Devin, I don't... I don't care about any of this."

"What do you mean?" I asked with furrowed brows.

She chuckled lightly, "I mean, yeah it's a little unbelievable, definitely really bizarre but - it doesn't change... how I feel about you. Nothing could change how I feel about you."

I chuckled, "Yeah, you say that now until you actually see what it looks like when I change."

The girl smiled softly, "I'm serious." She assured me. "I mean, you're definitely gonna have to explain it to me a little more because I'm still really confused but - I want to be with you."

I rose my eyebrows in surprise as I watched her look at me with soft, kind eyes. The kind she always had. "You do?"

The girl nodded as she bit back a smile that was forming on her face. "Of course." She said, looking down for a moment. I heard her heart beat faster as she continued to think. I felt like I had just won the lottery. Because a million other people would go screaming and running the other way, I didn't know why this one didn't. "Devin, I don't know if you know this or if you haven't realized but I'm kind of obsessed with you. I really like you."