chapter nineteen. hail mary

"Call it again." Scott told me as he continued the search for his phone. I looked at Stiles in annoyance as my brother asked me to call his phone for the twentieth time. Last night, Peter basically told Scott that he was going after Jackson. I mean, it was such an easy target. Jackson was literally begging for the bite. Peter needed as much people in his pack as he could to make him more powerful. Scott ended up finding Jackson at the Hale house last night with Derek. But then the Argents raided the house, and Derek ended up getting caught in the crossfire.  

"It's not here. Okay, so you lost your phone. Why don't you just get a new one?" Stiles suggested as he sat backwards in Scott's desk chair. He seemed to have forgot that Scott just got a new one. And he made minimum wage at the animal clinic.

"I can't afford a new one. And I can't do this alone. We have to find Derek." Scott said.

"Well, A, you're not alone. You have us." He said with a smile as he turned to me. I nodded and put my hand to my forehead in a way that said "aye, aye captain". "And B, didn't you say Derek walked into gunfire? He sounds pretty dead."

I shook my head, "I don't believe it. Derek had his spine impaled by the Alpha and he was back to normal in two days. If there's anything we've learned, is that Derek is invincible." I retorted, Stiles chuckling in response.

My brother scrambled around the room, still in hopes to find his phone. "Argent's plan was to use him to get to the Alpha - they're not gonna kill him."

Stiles shrugged, "All right, so then just let them do what they're planning, you know? They use Derek to get Peter - problem solved."

"Not if Peter's going after Allison to find Derek! I can't protect her on my own. Which means we either find Derek first -" Scott trailed off before he groaned, "just - just help me!"

When we got back last night, Allison was gone. Which I expected, we took a very long time to get home. It wasn't like we could warn her that she was in danger, so we had protect her without her knowing.

Stiles sighed, "You know, you probably lost it when you two were fighting. You remember that, when he was trying to kill you, after you interrupted him trying to kill Jackson? Are you starting to see a pattern of violent behavior here?"

"He wasn't going to kill anyone. And I'm not letting him die." Scott said, surprising me a little bit as he came to Derek's defense.

Stiles sighed, "Could you at least think about letting him die? For me?"

I rolled my eyes at Stiles before Scott sat down, his eyes drifting as he listened to something. "What?" I asked.

"Mom just got home from work." Scott said, a look of sorrow falling on his face after he listened for a while.

"Is she okay? What's she doing?" I asked in concern.

"Crying."

I frowned as I ran my hand over my face. It was because her date went so terribly last night. And I felt even worse because it was partly my fault. I helped sabotage her date. Sure, Peter was never serious about going out with her anyway, I mean it's Peter. But she didn't know that. She just wanted to find someone. And the first chance she has in a long time, it ends like that.

Stiles frowned as he watched Scott's eyes start to well up, "Scott, you can't protect everyone."

My brother sighed as he shook his head, "I have to."

>

I was meeting up with Allison at Macy's to help her pick out her dress for the Winter Formal. She asked me if I wanted to come and I really didn't, but I agreed to it because I felt bad that I wasn't really being her friend these days. I actually forgot that it was coming up until Scott mentioned that Coach banned him from the Winter Formal because his grades sucked.