chapter thirty. faith

Lydia was ignoring me.

She didn't sit with me in class and I knew why and I knew I deserved it but it still didn't feel good. I felt so bad for leaving her the other night but Stiles needed me and I wished I could just explain that to her. I just didn't want her to see me differently. We had only been dating for like a couple of weeks, I knew if I told her things would change. She couldn't have felt so strongly about me. At least not like how I felt about her.

I sighed as I was sat next to Jackson in Coach Finstock's class, seeing Stiles glance back at me momentarily. He had a certain look on his face that I couldn't make out. Like he was thinking of saying something but he didn't wanna say it. I looked at him in confusion before I looked over at Scott who was sitting in front of Jackson, my brother shrugging. The bell rang, prompting me to take out my notebook. "Hey, testicle left and right." Jackson called, looking at Scott and Stiles.

I furrowed my brows, "Does that mean you're the dick? Because if so, it's very fitting." I said with a smirk, the Whittemore boy rolling his eyes.

"What the hell is a kanima?" Jackson questioned. The two boys looked at each other, annoyance in their eyes.

"All right, listen up." Finstock called, causing us to turn to him. "A quick warning before we begin our review. Some of you, like Mr. McCall, might want to start their own study groups, because tomorrow's midterm is so profoundly difficult - I'm not even too sure I could pass it. Okay, I need a volunteer at the board to answer the first question. Who's got it, huh?" Some random guy shot up, racing to the board after grabbing the marker from Finstock. "Come on, let's go, buddy."

Jackson then started explaining how Derek's minions, Erica and Isaac, drug him to the abandoned subway station where Derek was now staying and made him drink the venom from the Kanima's claws. I guess to see if he would be poisoned by it, to indicate whether or not he was the Kanima. "Paralyzed from the neck down. Do you have any idea what that feels like?" Jackson asked.

"I'm familiar with the sensation." Stiles replied.

"Wait - why would Derek test you? Why would he think that it's you?" Scott asked in confusion.

Jackson shrugged, "How should I know?"

My eyes widened, "Wait, do they think it's Lydia?"

Jackson shook his head, "I don't know, all I heard was her name and something about chemistry."

"Jackson!" Coach yelled. "Do you have something you want to share with the rest of the class?"

Jackson chuckled nervously, "Um - just an undying admiration for my - my coach."

The dark-haired man smiled, "That's really kind of you. Now shut up! Shut it! Anybody else?"

Scott sighed, looking at me. "How do we know it's not her?"

I shook my head vigorously, "It's not, okay. I - I would know if it was her. I would feel it." I was worried, I wasn't gonna lie. I didn't think it was her. There was no way that Lydia could turn into something so ugly and vicious when she was so beautiful and gentle.

Stiles nodded, "And besides, I looked into the eyes of that thing, okay? And what I saw was pure evil. And when I look into Lydia's eyes, I only see 50% evil. All right, maybe 60. You know, but no more than 40 on a good day."

"Guys, that's not a very good argument." Scott pointed out.

I sighed, "I'm aware of that, but I swear it's not her. It can't be, all right? Lydia's fine." But she wasn't. She told me about seeing things and not understanding what was happening to her. What if it was because she was the Kanima?