chapter one. perspective

I was so tired.

I knew I shouldn't have stayed up so late but I literally could not sleep last night. I never can before the first day of the semester. It was the first day of sophomore year and I was beyond excited. It was just something about the first day back. Seeing all your friends again, meeting your new teachers, pulling out your new school supplies.

The school bell rang as I walked up to the steps in the common area outside of school alongside Scott and Stiles. I sighed as Stiles turned to Scott, causing all three of us to stop. We wouldn't have been late if Scott hadn't overslept after running around in the woods looking for half of a dead body with Stiles. I think I was just mad that I missed out on all the fun but then I remembered that my brother literally got mauled by some gigantic ass animal. Now it seems less fun. But I dunno, there's something about the little adrenaline rush you get when you think you're about to die.

"Okay, let's see this thing." Stiles said, gesturing for Scott to lift his shirt up.

The tan boy squinted as he lifted his gray long sleeve shirt, allowing us to see the big blood stained gauze that covered his side. I frowned as Stiles threw his head back in surprise. "Oh!"

Scott nodded, lowering his shirt. "Yeah. It was too dark to see much, but I'm pretty sure it was a wolf."

I looked at him with furrowed brows, glancing at Stiles who spoke, "A wolf bit you?" Stiles asked. Scott nodded. "No, not a chance."

"I heard a wolf howling."

Stiles chuckled almost patronizingly. "No, you didn't."

Scott grinned in amusement, "What do you mean, no, I didn't? How do you know what I heard?"

"Because California doesn't have wolves, okay? Not in like 60 years."

"Really?" I asked in surprise. I knew that they weren't usual for this area, but I didn't think it was that rare. Scott was so sure that he heard a wolf howling. I'm pretty sure my brother knew what a wolf sounded like, I mean it's a pretty distinct howl, right?

"Yes, really, Devin. There are no wolves in California." Stiles insisted, his face screwed up almost as if he was appalled by the statement.

Stiles was apparently very serious about his wolves.

Scott sighed, "All right, well, if you don't believe me about the wolf, then you're definitely not gonna believe me about when I tell you I found the body."

Stiles' eyes widened, "You - are you kidding me?"

"No, man, I wish. I'm gonna have nightmares for a month."

Stiles chuckled, "Oh, god, that is freakin' awesome." Stiles said, his eyes glancing behind me and Scott. I turned my head, seeing Lydia Martin walking alongside one of her friends. I rolled my eyes. I already knew what was coming. "I mean, this is seriously gonna be the best thing that's happened to this town since - since the birth of Lydia Martin. Hey, Lydia!" Stiles exclaimed as Lydia walked right past us, acting as if Stiles was invisible. I saw her spare a glance at me but I looked away the minute we made eye contact. "You look - like you're gonna ignore me..." He trailed off, an annoyed expression on his face.

"You seriously need to let that go, it's clearly never gonna happen." I told the pale boy, earning an eye roll from him.

"You're the cause of this, you know."

I put my chin up in surprise, holding my hand to my chest. "Me?" I asked. Stiles nodded before I let out an airy laugh. "Please tell me how I've somehow stopped the most popular girl in school, Lydia Martin, from falling in love with you, a bench warmer on the Lacrosse team. Seriously, I'd love to hear this."