Chapter Three

one again, May was lead down many hallways until she finally came to a door that she assumed to be the kitchen.
May was surprised to see that Sebastian wasn't in there as he said he would have been. 'Must have been called to other duty', she said to herself. she looked across the kitchen to see a tall blonde with with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and a shorter blonde boy with a gardner's hat handing on his back by its draw string.
"aye, Mey-Rin.", the taller blonde man said, "Who's the new dime here?" May smiled warmly at the blonde man.
"I'm May.", May said politely, "I'm the new maid here at the Phantomhive manor." The blonde man laughed a bit.
"Aye. that's good.", he said, "and I'm Bard!", he said pointing to himself, "I'm the chef around here, though Sebastian doesn't let me cook much anymore!"
May let out a small laugh and turned the smaller blonde boy.
"and I'm Finny!", he said. his voice was high, and he was cute. 'He's like a little brother', May thought.
"Nice to meet you, Finny.", May said, "Well, what do we do around here?" As the words came from May's mouth, a bell on the wall rang.
"Oh my!", Mey-Rin said, "The master is calling, yes he is!" Bard gave a confused look.
"That's odd.", he said, "aye, shouldn't Sebastian be with him right now?" Mey-Rin shrugged.
"I don't know.", she said, "Maybe he's busy doing something else.", she turned to May, "Here's your first duty as a Phantomhive maid!", she said, "Go see what the young master wants!" May smiled at Mey-Rin.
"Yes of course!", she said, leaving the kitchen. May found herself at the bottom of the large stairwell, trying to remember which ways to turn to get to Ciel's study.
"Right, left, right? no that isn't right.", she said out loud to herself. "Left, left right? no that doesn't seem right either!"
"having some trouble, Miss?" May turned around to see Sebastian standing just inches away from her, and she could feel his body heat. She blushed instantly, and didn't even attempt to cover it up.
"oh um, yes actually." she said, taking a step away from Sebastian. "I can't seem to remember how to get to the masters study." May avoided eye contact with Sebastian.
"oh well that does seem like a problem.", Sebastian said. he took another step toward May and lifted up her chin with his finger. "it's left, right, right.", he whispered just inches from her face.
May felt her face get hot as her brown eyes met Sebastian's red ones.
"oh.", she said, pulling away from Sebastian. "um, thank you very much!" May ran up the stairs trying to fade the blush from her face. 'What the hell was that?', she thought to herself 'Why didn't feel so..so attracted to him?' May shook her said. 'No! No! you're not letting yourself do that, May!', she told herself as she knocked on the door to Ciel's study.
"come in.", ciel said from the other side of the door. May entered the room and curtseyed at ciel.
"sorry to keep you waiting, master.", she said, "I couldn't remember the way to your study."
again, ciel didn't smile and looked at May. "That's quite alright.", he said, "It happens with all new comers. anyway, I'm glad you came when I rang, I needed to speak with you anyway, come on in."
May stepped further into Ciel's study, just feet from the desk. "Yes, master?", she said.
"I decided I would give you a short orientation about how things go around here.", he said, "first off, naturally I'm the one who gives the orders around here. also, any task that Sebastian gives you to do, you are to do it, he's the head butler and knows what he's doing."
May nodded her head, "Yes of course, Master.", she said.
Ciel folded his hands and put them on his desk. "The manor will take some time to learn.", he said, "but I'm sure you'll get used to it in no time." Ciel let out a half smile- half frown and May smiled at him.
"Thank you, Master.", she said. Ciel nodded.
"Very, well.", he said. "You may go." May curtseyed again and quickly left the study. she stared down the hallway, in the way she thought the stair case was. She turned a corner, and almost collided with Sebastian. she jumped back a little and put her hand over her heart.
"Oh, thank God!", she said, "Sebastian, it's only you!" Sebastian gave May a slight frown.
"oh.", he said, "only me?" May shot him a confused look.
"well yeah.", she said, "you startled me. it's just you, not like a demon or something!"
Sebastian closed his eyes and laughed. "oh no, May.", he said, opening his eyes, "I'm simply just one hell of a butler."
May smiled and tried to walk around Sebastian, but he stepped in her way. "I do believe I have some tasks for you to compete before dinner tonight.", he said, smirking at her. "First, I would like you to help Mey-Rin get the dishes down. She can't seem to do it herself without breaking something. Then, if you would be kind to set the table, it would be a great help."
May smiled and nodded her head. "Yes, of course.", she said. Sebastian shot her a smirk and walked down the hall way.
May found her way to the stairs and went back into the kitchen where Mey-Rin was standing on a chair, trying to get plates down from the cabinet.
"Mey-Rin!", May shouted, "You're going to fall, let me help you!" as the words came out of May's mouth, Mey-Rin fell from the chair and all the plates shattered onto the floor. 'that must be why Sebastian told me to help her', May told herself.
Soon, the mess was cleaned up and May was in the dinning room, setting the table for dinner. the door swung open and Sebastian came in, admiring the table.
"Well, I must say.", he said, "You did a wonderful job for someone who's never set a table in their life before."
May jokingly made a mocking face at him and crossed her arms. "Well, Sebastian.", she said, "Who's one hell of a butler now?"
Sebastian laughed. "Oh, May.", he said, "I'm afraid it's still me. I'm the only butler here." he smirked at may.
May smiled and rolled her eyes. "Figures.", she mumbled under her breath.