Chapter 8: Final Battle

The battle will be skipped due to difficulties. 

----------------------------------

"You saved me," Sonic coughed. 

"Don't talk to me. I'm not in the mood," Knuckles responded with a grumpy expression.

What Sonic did next, caused Y/N to giggle since she found it funny. Sonic threw sand and it hit Knuckles' face. Knuckles looked pissed. "How dare you attack me in my hour of sorrow!" 

Sonic threw sand again. "Why did you save me? Especially Y/N's?"

Y/N laughed as Knuckles threw a pile of sand on Sonic. "Because you saved me first. which clearly gave you a tactical advantage I do not understand." Knuckles made a sand ball, ready to throw. 

"It wasn't a tactic," Sonic began seriously, "I couldn't just let you die."

Knuckles had a look of confusion. "Why? I've been trying to destroy you since the moment we met." He walked closer to Sonic, dropping the sand ball. 

"Because being a hero isn't about taking care of yourself. It's about taking responsibility for other people."

Knuckles was speechless as he sat down, Y/N joining next to her echidna boyfriend. She had to be careful with her leg. "Wise words. An ancient earth proverb?"

"So, sir, that's a Wachowski family special. I got it from a guy in a rowboat. Someone who means a lot to me." Sonic smiled at that but then he became concerned. "But seriously, what's up with you and Y/N?"

Knuckles looked at Sonic, then at Y/N. He gave her a soft, loving smile as he gently took her hand in his. "We are together, with honor."

Y/N blushed at that while Sonic's jaw dropped. 

On the plane~

Since there were not enough places for everyone on the plane, Y/N was being tightly held by Knuckles on one wing while Sonic was on the other. Tails flew the Tornado plane. They all entered through the ring Sonic threw and they're back at the little town both Sonic and Y/N called home. Once they entered, they couldn't believe what they saw. There was like a huge black tornado with green electricity in front of them.

"That can be only one thing," Tails exclaimed seriously.

"The fearsome power of the emerald," Knuckles responded with anger.

"If that thing really turns thoughts into power, we are in big trouble. Robotnik has a lot of bad thoughts," Sonic informed seriously.

"Hey, Sonic, are you sure it was a good idea bringing you-know-who aboard?" Tails asked, not feeling sure about the Knucklehead.

Y/N heard it and looked at Tails. "Knuckles isn't really a bad guy. He's just a little mixed up."

"I am not mixed up, my love," Knuckles responded cockily.

"You are."

Not."

"You are."

"Not."

"You are!"

"Not!"

*Sighs*. Lovebirds.

Later~

"There he is! Go go go!" Maddie pointed out and Tom drove faster.

While Knuckles and Y/N were the first ones to jump off, Knuckles warned her to stay out of harm while he'll handle Robotnik off. Y/N had other ideas. She found her parents and pleaded with them to get Sonic before Eggman would eliminate him for good. 

Maddie got the seatbelts off and managed to grab Sonic into her arms. The poor blue hedgehog was in a horrible and weak condition due to the battle with fatass Eggman. He looked so weak and tired that he might collapse anytime second now. Y/N looked worried at her brother. "We got you, Sonic!"

"Hold on!" Tom warned as Eggman slammed his fist on the ground, causing the car to go flying and roll over until it was upside down. They all crawled out. 

"You guys ok?"

"Yeah."

They all huddled together as a family and looked at the emerald. "I got the emerald. We could still defeat him, "Sonic began. Everyone looked hopeful. "Come on, come on. How does this thing work? What do I do?"

Y/N believed that only Knuckles could know due to being in an echidna tribe warrior blood. While Sonic was busy trying to find out how the emerald could work, to everyone's horror, the emerald began turning greyish-green and it shattered into many pieces. Y/N covered her mouth in shock. As Eggman began to lift his foot, everyone huddled much closer than before and held into each other tightly. 

"Goodbye, my red-head," Y/N mumbled under her breath as she closed her eyes and prepared herself. 

"No!"

"Y/N!"

But a unique and a miracle happened. Sonic was no longer weak! Y/N didn't feel any impact at all as she opened her eyes. Instead of seeing Sonic blue, he was gold with red eyes! Sonic took the entire job with Eggman and once he's gone, perhaps, Sonic began to float down. 

The entire Wachowski family ran to him but Knuckles stopped them. "Wait! You cannot touch him! The hedgehog holds the power of the emerald. I am sorry. He is no longer the Sonic you once knew."

"What?"

Super Sonic then suddenly made a chili dog appear and it landed on Knuckles, causing Y/N to laugh. "Okay. He is exactly the Sonic you once knew."

While others were busy with Sonic, Y/N took out a tissue and whipped Knuckles' face clean. "Are you ok?" She giggled. 

Knuckles smiled. "With you always, my love."

They were lost in each other's eyes as they leaned closer until their lips finally touched.