18 - IF IT WAS IRIS.

In Elendel's Social world rumours were fast to travel

In Elendel's Social world rumours were fast to travel. Recently there was a new rumour circulating among the tea parties of the noble ladies of the empire.

"Have you head, The lady of Meckelov is said to have eloped with a commoner."

One of the invited lady said as she covered her mouth with her fan pretending to be worried about Iris Meckelov but everyone present there knew she was mocking her under the pretext of worrying.

"Oh my goodness, Do you think that is true, Why would the lady choose a commoner over the Crown prince "

Another lady exclaimed covering her mouth with her hand as if she was shocked. But she too was making fun of Iris, everybody in the high society knew about the Crown prince's scandal with a palace maid. After the scandal, words about Iris not being able to satisfy the Crown prince were a Hot topic of gossip for months and now the Lady was out of the empire for months and talks that she had ran away were a new source of entertainment.

"Oh. I believe she will come back. There are just people spreading false rumours." The first lady smiled as if reassuring everyone of Iris's return when she herself was the one spreading these rumours.

Three months, It has 3 months 2 weeks since Iris left the Empire

Three months, It has 3 months 2 weeks since Iris left the Empire. Alexis was sitting on his desk in his office. 'Does she think she can do anything she wants '  these were his thoughts as he turned the pages of the documents lying in front of him and signed at the bottom right of the page.

Three months ago she suddenly came to me asking for an annulment and now she went on a vacation for a whole year. Is she out of her mind.

Iris was engaged to Alexis, only engaged but the emperor had insisted for her to assist the Empress in managing the palace as of he was sure she would be the next Empress without a doubt . The Emperor and Duke Meckelov had a contract to marry their kids to make the Royal family more stable.

I have to marry her. Despite the fact that he didn't like her he had to marry for more political power.

In Elendel there were two main factions that held political power. First the Royals and second the Aristocracts . The duchy of Meckelov was the second most powerful house after the Imperial house and the Emperor didn't want to loose the opportunity to make the Duke his ally and he decided to do so through a marriage between their kids that were yet be born at the time when the contract was signed. If the engagement is called off there would be no doubts that the Duke would go ahead to join the Aristocratic faction and this would make the Royalties loose power and their hold over the empire which would eventually result in the dethroning of the current Emperor and a new era of Imperialism would start.