Someone You Know

Water dripped from somewhere deep in the cave, Bruce focused on the sound. His mind was a pool of liquid, every steady drop a new thought. Ripples formed as more droplets fell, each wave canceling each other out.

His breathing was even as he concentrated, he pondered who could have been up to no good. Every time he'd come to a conclusion, he'd snap back to reality.

This time was different though, his mind seemed to flow freely. Even the Bat was quiet.

The only face that kept appearing, that made his concentration lapse just a bit, was Jas-

"It's him." Bruce gasped, shocked he hadn't thought of him sooner. But he had suspicions, his mind just wouldn't let him see.

Jack, picking his ear with one pinky, looked up from his newspaper. He liked to guffaw at how boring the other criminals were and how lame their tactics came across.

"What?"

"It's.. him." The Bat sighed, brow furrowed even more than before.

He abruptly made his way over to read his notes, charted out the timeline, and ended up circling back to the same name again and again. The same name that was tied to everything.

"Jason."

His eyes shut, willing the memories of his pain away. This boy, now a man—though not a real one, whom he helped raise. In his spiral of repulsive nostalgia, he wondered where he went wrong. How could an apprentice of his become such a monster?

"So are we gonna kill 'em or what?" Jack growled, venomous eyes glowing green with vile, unsatiated bloodlust.

"No! Of course not!" He snarled back, even if in the pit of his stomach he knew that'd be the best answer.

"No killing.." He couldn't, even if his life depended on it. No matter how much hurt he could endure, he refused to even think of taking the life of his ward.

A chime went off from his phone, he took a look at the screen. Gordon had sent him an urgent message, a code black. The highest level of distress.

He sprang into action, suited up and armed with his gadgets.

"Batsy, wait! I want to come too!" Jack exclaimed, eyes frenzied.

Batman stopped in his tracks, for a brief moment, he held Jack's face in his hand.

"Stay here." He said calmly, not needing the other to worry. Besides, he couldn't explain this new man to Gordon or anyone else.

Jack watched as the Batmobile sped off, alone again naturally.

‿෴🦇෴‿

The GCPD was in shambles as Batman arrived, officers arguing about logistics and others demanding information. As he walked through, every one stopped to stare.

He came to Gordon's office and found the white haired man with his head in his hands.

"What is happening?" The Bat questioned, heart in his throat.

"There's been a breach in security. We've had the water at Blackgate tested and found high levels of toxins. No one has any idea how long this has been going on and how many inmates have been affected." Gordon sighed, brow tense.

"If this gets out to the public, I have no idea what's going to happen."

Batman didn't care what the public thought, his mind was focused on the fact that thousands of lives were being affected currently.

"Do you know the toxin? Has anyone become sick?"

The older man handed him a file. He made an unsure face.

"This is all we know. The chemists have no clue how to combat the toxins, and only a few inmates have complained of sickness."

Batman thumbed through the file, his cowl recording every page. The one word, Digitalis, was all he needed to know. He placed it back down and sighed.

"And there's no footage of anyone tampering with the water supply?"

"None. It's like a ghost came through.."

His eye twitched at the incompetence of man. He nodded and started to leave.

"Send your men to Arkham as well, I'm sure this didn't stop at Blackgate."

"I will." Gordon promised.

There was no need for anymore words to be exchanged, the Bat left swiftly. He called Selena as he entered the Batmobile.

"Hello?"

"Selena, I need your assistance. Are you still in contact with Ivy?"

"Of course. She's right here with me and Harley."

"Good. I'm heading over now, I'll explain when I get there."

‿෴🦇෴‿

After explaining the situation to the three women, Batman calmed himself as he did the one thing he hated doing.

"I need your help creating an antidote."

Ivy gave him a side eye,"You do know I don't care about human life."

Harley cleared her throat, linking arms with Selena.

"Oh, except for theirs." She laughed slightly.

"If you don't help me, this may also cost their lives as well." Especially if they were imprisoned, or worse.

Ivy sighed, heading over to her chemistry station. She plucked a vial and gave it a swirl.

"This should do it. But I'm only helping because of my girls." She said as she handed it to him.

Batman's cowl studied the liquid, already breaking down the components to be replicated.

"Thank you."

Ivy shrugged,"Don't mention it. Think of it as a thank you for saving me."

‿෴🦇෴‿

At the Batcave, Batman sent a chemical analysis to Gordon and was about to start working on his own antidote when he noticed how quiet the cave was. Much too quiet.

His heart stopped when he found a red note card propped up on his computer. It read, To my Mentor, in a hurried scrawl.

Come find us at the Statue of Justice.

He paused, heart beating violently against his rib cage as he crushed the note in his hand. He didn't have time for this. He never had time for anything.

Quickly, he made a call to Alfred, just in case.

"Master Bruce? Are you alright?"

Only slight relief came over him.

"Yes Alfred, I need you to go somewhere safe. Someone has kidnapped the Joke- I mean, Jack. Please stay safe until I get back."

Alfred tried to ask what was going on, but Batman ended the transmission and entered the Batmobile again. This time, he headed to the intended location, nerves frazzled as he drove through the streets of Gotham.

He could only pray he wasn't too late.