Amber's Penmanship

The beeps of the copier gave Amber solace. Though the insurance office was quiet. With only the sounds of machines and clicks of boots on the marble tiles to upset the solitude, her cubicle afforded her. 

This was a high-stress, high reward environment. Amber was doing well in that regard. Learning quickly she made herself one of the most valued recruits. This gave her happiness at a time when she was unsure of herself. 

Amber's phone beeped. She finished up the input into the column and checked it.

Ya beautiful That was from Solomon. It's what, one week since they talked? Now, he went back to texting exclusively.

But his messages since then were more one-liners.

Good morning sunshine

Your the rain that washed away our future sins

You shake my world

… stuff like that.

Her eyebrows wagged in agreement looking at the sins one, that and your should be you're.

Another message came in from Solomon. With clothes on.

Her eyebrows went up in surprise. This cocky…. What was he implying? That she didn't look beautiful without any? Who said that? She frowned. Amber rolled the phone in her hand before she sent, They going to stay on. 

His reply, The clothes can stay on. The skirt can lift up 

Her neck burned as her eyes blinked in surprise. Amber's lips flapped in hesitation then closed, pursing into a roller.

She smiled, but decided to not reply to that, because she wasn't sure what to say. A part of her wanted to ask what he would do if he lifted her skirt, but there was no way she was feeding that lion in him.

Hopefully, they could meet soon, because work made her an enemy of good vibes.

Once she went home, she parked her car in front of the house. Amber turned off her car's engine. The creaks of crickets in the bright sprinkled night decorated by the many elaborate house bulbs of her neighbors.

She yawned when she opened the door.

“Amber?” That voice rattled her into shaking away. She shifted to the side and looked left to see Rohan walking up to her in a pastel blue cotton shirt and jeans.

Amber instantly straightened and stared up. “What are you doing here Rohan?”

Rohan replied, “I was visiting a friend, just leave them. Thought I see how you were doing.”

Rohan did not live in the parish of Portland. He lived in Kingston, he would not come from such a long distance only to say hi. That was a load of bullshit. Amber breathed in, “What do you want?”

Rohan took out his smartphone. Amber stared at the screen and saw the caller ID said, Amber. Under that was her number, Rohan was calling her. Rohan leaned to the side and asked, “Any reason your phone is not ringing?”

Amber stared into his smiling face and fought back the intense urge to punch him. She kept the flat line of her lips as she spoke, “I blocked your number.”

He frowned. “Why?”

Amber lost her composure and blurted out, “What do you mean why? I have no reason to tell you why. I don't want to talk to you.”

Rohan moved around her. “Did you see the text? Amber listen we can end this. Since you never want to talk to me ever again and all these things.”

“Yes I saw it. I don't want to work for you. I don't want your slap in your face deal. You met my lawyer last week. Him a tell me is bare time-wasting with you.”