Amber's Analysis

Amber sat laughing out loud with her friend Valletta on the couch. Snacks and juices lined the mini table, while the TV showed a movie they saw too many times and could be easily lip-synched if they wanted to compete for who consisted the best memory.

Both were talking about Solomon, the ‘gyallis’ was sweeter than this movie. 

“Amber are you serious, he said heart and soul?” Valletta asked.

“Yes, no, no girl, it was body and frecking soul. I was like.” Amber made this okay? face feigning shock. “I swear I been through a lot of men in these past three years, but in Jesus name Valletta, what kind of lullaby lyrics him is trying to put me to sleep with? Jesus Christ!”

Valletta fell off the couch laughing. Amber shook her head as she tried to control her snickers and cheeks warm with blush.

Cyribus, Amber’s cat bounced along the side of the couch and twirled around her leg. Valletta was back on the couch and asked, “How old is this boy you want suh?”

Amber sighed. “He ain’t that young. He is twenty-four.”

“Twenty-four, rahtid a baby that my dear. You don’t know that is the older man you are supposed to be dating. They are more stable than these young stallions who want to stop at every stable to check if the hay is just right.”

Amber was not her sister. “I do not want no crawny, shrivel up old man.”   

“Better that than a rampaging bull, a lame one at that. But hey, you are the one that said yes to him, soo…”

Amber sighed. “I wasn’t even planning to meet him so soon. It just happened. We didn’t have that much time to talk but-”

“He seems like another gyallis in training, but God those lyrics are terrible. Whose pants he thinks he going to get into with those lines?"

Amber snorted out, “Ain’t mine. Must not be mine.”

Valletta laughed holding her side. “Whooooooooa! My body!”

Amber kissed her teeth. “I swear. He said fifteen minutes and him must connect with me. Do not do that, better you did say you want to have sex with me and done. At least I know what you came there for. But him a use that partner thing I wrote years ago and is trying to whisper sweet nothings in my ears like I cannot read in between the lines and see that it is my body him want.” 

She sighed at the irritation. A part of her wanted his words to be true, but alas, most words from men lacked substance. 

Still, Amber was glad to be off the road and admitted her job afforded her some flexibility she would not get elsewhere. 

So if she wanted she could work extra hours one day and spare herself the stress of working a full eight hours one day.

Most times than not she worked over fifty hours every week which made her boss happy. Just not happy enough to promote her, that fact pained Amber.

“That is how man stay. All them want is sex and more sex. No man want any relationship,” Valletta said.

“I feel you sister.”

“So you would have given him the one night?” Valletta asked with an upward quirk of her eyebrow.

Amber took up Cyribus. Cyribus’s deep silver coat shone in the room’s ambient light. Valletta went for the package of banana chips and Cyribus snarled loudly at Valletta’s closeness.

Valletta exclaimed, “Your cat has no manners.” 

Amber laughed and drew Cyribus back from slicing at her. “It is only me she likes.” She placed Cyribus’s nose on hers. “Yes Cyribus loves her mommy, yes she does! But I don’t know. Solomon sexy though. Him beard sharper than razor and him eyes so... " Amber motioned with her arms, while Cyribus’s claws clutched on her shirt collar and shoulder. “It's like nicely brewed dark coffee. The only thing is that he has a big nose, but he's rather handsome.”