Amber's Courtroom

Amber stared at the TV. This show was good, she laughed a few times. It was good to get her mind off things.

Her body swelled with contempt. Her nerves were shakier than a three-legged chair, but she tried her best to not think about his voice, that smile, those unwavering eyes, his stupid jokes.

Closing her eyes, she tensed and opened them with renewed vigor. The thought of Solomon rebirthed her unrestrained anger. All those good times, were dead as far as she was concerned.

That liar, that womanizing, liar. Amber was mad at herself mostly. She let him into her life. He seemed so nice and he was another one of Sonia's monsters. Well, the relationship was not that far along, so she was fine cutting Solomon off at this point.

Her phone rang. Her heart lightened and she took her phone up only to see that it was Valletta.

Amber sighed, she stared at the phone ringing. Now that she thought of it, he only called her twice. Something like that she would expect him to call her back numerous times by now.

If she was wrong he would have called her more than that after a day. The fact that he did not, meant, he was caught dead to rights and he probably knew it. The call ended. Amber called Valletta.

“Open the gate, my girl, me outside,” Valletta said after answering. 

Once Valletta was inside, Amber told Valletta everything and Valletta stared at her, then she shrugged.

Amber continued, “Boy, Valletta you were right. But I think I will take a break first, you realize? Solomon just...” Amber sighed. “I need to stop picking these men, what you think?”

Valletta said nothing. Then she leaned up from the couch, stared sideways, and said, “I guess Sonia will have him all for herself.”

Amber wished it was not so. Part of her felt like everything fell apart when it was good. Still, Amber cared for Solomon. He seemed like a good man. Solomon was nice, a bit corny, but he radiated so much warmth and gentleness in his words and smile and... 

Amber inhaled with a sharp sound. “Me nuh support that. Using men like their ATMs. A bare a that Sonia do and she need to stop.”

Valletta dropped her elbow on her knee and stared blankly. “Like men are any better, it's just the game we all have to play. This ain't no romance novel.”

“I wish it was. Me woulda ride off into the sunset a long time ago.”

Valletta chuckled. “If only life was like that. But me really want to know...why you really dump him?”

“I told you. I think he is cheating on me.”

“Okay.”

"What?"

"Nothing."

"No, seriously, what?"

Valletta stared at Amber and with a turn of her head, her eyes rolled. "Sound like you were waiting to do it."

“Wha' that supposed to mean, you heard what Sonia said about him.”

“You even sure Sonia told you the truth about Solomon? This is Sonia we are talking about here. Sonia. Lying, conniving Sonia. If she learned you were with her victim, oh, I mean her friend. I would make sure you stay away from him too.”

Sonia and Valletta have always had a shaky relationship. Or better yet they were only friends with Amber, while tolerating each other. The number of times Sonia and Valletta were at each other's necks couldn't be measured.

Amber knew better than to defend Sonia. Even Amber was disapproving of her actions. As much as Amber was angry with Solomon it could not be denied Sonia should not be using the man like that.