Amber's Secret

“Please leave a nam—” Amber gripped her phone tighter and closed her eyes trying to settle her racing heart. It cannot be true. It cannot be true, right, this was a joke, right, a sick joke, right?

What the hell was she going to do now? Andrew was running around chasing, whatever his name was with the ball. Amber must have the worse luck on earth, how the hell did she end up dating Sonia's ex?

No, worse than that. Andrew was not his son and she God forsaken knew! Amber stared up at the sky and never thought a day would come when she would ask for guidance from God, but she needed it right now.

“Amber!” 

Amber looked down and her heart seized up as she noted Andrew pushing the ball towards her. Her legs wobbled. No, no, no, no, no, she was exposed. Sweat peeled off Amber's face slowly amid her bated breath. Amber struggled to speak.

“Ha ha, ain't that cute, Andrew already remembered your name,” Latasha said. 

Amber gave a nervous chuckle. “Yeah, sure.” Thank God, her brain almost ceased operation thinking of the explanations she had to conjure up. Amber was not good at lying and this was a situation where she did not know how to act.

Amber shook her head morosely and tried to consider her options. Well, leaving was the best option right now. She needed time to think. Amber called Sonia and got voicemail again.

Damn it Sonia, the one time Amber needed her advice Sonia was absent.

Solomon came out and waved at her. The pounding in her heart increased. Amber wanted to run, but her legs felt like jelly. What was she going to do now? She needed to get away from him. 

Solomon picked up Andrew and walked over. “Hey, you okay? You look pale...”

Amber's lips quivered. “I-I ah, sick, I-I'm ss-sick. Yeah, my head just started to hurt me.”

Solomon frowned. “Well, me guess you won't stay for a while?”

Amber shook her head. A drop of sweat fell into her jacket.

Solomon nodded with understanding. He rocked Andrew on his shoulder getting him to giggle. “Say hi to Amber.”

“Amber!”

Solomon laughed. “Hey, that's good.”

Amber grinned reluctantly. As heartwarming as this was, it was built on a lie. Amber swallowed hard and held her chest trying to calm herself.

Solomon said as his smile melted away. “You sure you are okay? Yuh sweating, hard.”

“Yeah, I-I just need some sleep. That is all.”

“You sure you don't need anything, water, headache pills? Me ca' go get some. There is a shop just over the...”

Amber waved at him. She could not help smiling. “No, I am fine. Really, I just need some sleep. You are a good man, you know?”

Solomon titled his head back and forth saying, “I guess, but... I mean me believe in myself, but my thing has always been I can do better and I should. So trust me I think I can be better than good. I can be...the best thing you ever had.”

Amber snickered and waved him off, “Whatever.”

Solomon came close and Amber felt the heat rise as they stared at each other. Their bodies close, their lips parted in matrimony and her phone rang shaking her heart loose from the chains of his presence. 

Amber blushed and said with a shake of her head, “I got to go.” She turned and left him, entering her car. 

Amber pressed up the green circle, placed it on speaker and she heard Sonia's voice. “Hello?” Amber's arms shook. Amber swiftly took the car out of pack. In the corner of her eyes, she saw Solomon waving at her.