3·7

Life was happening in slow motion

It had only been three days since Kong walked out on me, Adam and James and not returned until now. But everything was just not the same. Time seemed to slow down, nothing interested me anymore. Not work, not school, not even ice cream.

I missed Kong. Terribly.

"Why do you look like suffering and doom?"

I whirled to the side to see Tasha staring at me like I had two heads. She'd dyed her hair electric blue and gotten rid of the bangs. Her lips were coated with a deep shade of hot red.

"Why do you look different?" I asked her.

She shrugged. "I ended things with Roy. Just couldn't see a future for us."

"Oh. Um. I'm sorry, I guess," I fumbled.

She smirked. "Don't be. I got to boss people around because they thought being their manager's girlfriend gave me an automatic promotion." She snorted. "Plus, we had good-"

I cut her off in a frenzy, leaning away. "Don't say it. We're at work."

She rolled her eyes. "We had good reason to end. Get your mind out of the gutter, Camden. And where the heck is your other annoying half?"

I bit down on my lip and studied Tasha. She was trying to hide it, but her lips were twitching as she stared back at me. "I don't know."

"You don't know? I thought the both of you were joined at the hip." We were but I was not having this conversation with Tasha.

"He just needed a break. I'll cover for him."

Tasha have me a one over before turning on her heel. "Whatever. I'm not payed to babysit my coworkers."

The rest of the day dragged on painfully slowly. I served table after table, taking orders and delivering said orders. All the while everyone wanted to know where Kong was and they all came to me for answers. Even Annie was worried that all twelve cupcakes in her batches were intact.

And I kept telling them the same thing: that Kong needed a break.

It wasn't until I was covering Kong's shift at the counter, smiling at a nice olive-skinned lady who seemed to be in her late forties that I caught the silhouette of someone at the door. My smile fell immediately as I watched Kong usher Pat in, find a table for her walk away. Right into Roy's office.

Okay. So he disappears from my life for three days and then shows up only to go see Roy. Totally understandable.

My eyes were still on Pat as I served the woman her order and turned to Brad, the other barista. "Hey, Brad!" I called.

He looked up from his phone and hummed in response.

"Could you cover for me? I need to check on something."