1·3

It was like an angel had fallen from the sky and landed in the middle of the shop

It was like an angel had fallen from the sky and landed in the middle of the shop. Suddenly, all the sounds around us went quiet and all attention fell on us. Tasha, who appeared to have been watching our entire ordeal gripped her clipboard tighter and took a step forward from the corner. From the other corner of my eye, both Kong and the person he was attending to stared at James and I. Someone, a girl, moved. She leaned towards her friend and whispered something in her ear.

Al this time, James had his gaze on me, unmoving. If we weren't in a public place I'd probably had grabbed him by the shoulders and shaken him.

I broke him. We broke up. I tore his heart in two. No one in their right mind in his shoes would come back and ask me to be his fake girlfriend. He had to be delusional.

"No," I stated simply, hoping my sharp voice had an effect on him.

This was a trap, I knew it but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't come up with a sensible thing James would get out of this for revenge.

He wasn't a trickster or heartbreaker, so he wouldn't turn on my family. If he gave his word, he'd help. And from how honest I'd known him to be, he was probably saying the truth and did need a fake girlfriend.

Even though everything seemed rational, I went with the red light my gut pointed towards. There was just something about his demeanor that said "run and hide if you want to live."

"Listen to yourself, Avery." James stood up as well. I took a step back when he was a few centimeters from me causing him to snort. "I'm handing you the hell you need for basically nothing. I mean, we were together once and you'd been so good at being a girlfriend." Yes, until I wasn't.

"I cheated on you with Adam," I spat, frowning. And even though I sounded self-convincing, I got the effect I wanted. James' slight smile twitched and fell into a straight line.

"I've moved on," he snapped back. Were we really doing this here? I guessed so. James took a step towards me and suddenly grabbed my arm making electric bolts dance there. I tried my best to ignore them, choosing to stee him down instead. "And I want to believe you have as well, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd have asked someone else, but no one knows me as good as you."

I blinked and held myself back from inhaling sharply. That single statement had my heart in a frenzy.

Control yourself, dammit!

I felt James tug on my arm like he was tugging me back to reality. "Saying no to this offer will be a stupid move on your part. So I'll ask again." He frowned, letting go of my hand and lifting his hand to my chin. The electric current shifted there. "Will you be my girlfriend?"