0·2

"I never thought I'd say this, but it must suck to be you right now

"I never thought I'd say this, but it must suck to be you right now."

I stared in disbelief at my best friend, who had just said that. He blew out a puff of air to punctuate his statement before placing the tray he was holding with the others on the counter.

Three things were obvious; One, I was going to need a new best friend because this one wasn't doing what best friends were supposed to do. Two, he was right. It did suck to be me right now. And three, I needed a break from life.

Apparently, neither option one nor three were going to happen.

I removed my fist from under my chin and laid my palms flat on the counter, giving Kong the most unimpressed look I could muster. "You're not helping."

My eyes did a quick scan of our surroundings. Almost everyone was moving. Most of the customers were either smiling, talking, eating, or doing all three at their tables, while other employees maneuvered between tables to do their jobs.

Kong snorted. "I doubt anything would be able to help you now."

"Yay," I said with a fake smile, squinting. "You just keep making me feel better, bestie."

With that, I grabbed a napkin. The people at table seven had just left, so it was my duty to clean it up. Also, I didn't want to look at Kong right now.

As I rounded the counter and headed for table seven, I felt Kong jogging to keep up with me. Once he caught up, he steadied himself to a quick walk that had other people in The Breakfast Cafe giving us weird looks. I whipped out a good grin immediately.

"Okay, I'm sorry," Kong apologized as we got to the table. I ignored him and started wiping at the ketchup stain on the table. "But you have to agree that this is a big problem."

The words "no shit" literally flew out of my mouth before I could stop them. Devastated, I tossed the napkin onto the table and stared at Kong again. His blue eyes seemed to grow darker with genuine concern. I sighed and pouted.

Kong sighed as well. "You know what? I think you need some ice cream so you can think of a solution to this."

"There's no thinking about it. It's either I beg James to help, or I watch my family's business crumble. Or so my parents said."

"But then there's a little problem with the first option." Kong pinched his index finger and thumb together to put more effect on the 'little.' Then he placed his hand on the table and leaned into it. "You cheated on James, broke his heart, and created an enmity between yourselves."

I was going to bite Kong's head off if he kept doing this.

Sensing the danger, he rearranged his words with a small chuckle. "I'm sure you'll find a way around it. You're the smartest person I know."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "If you think you can sweet talk your way out of this, you better stop trying."

If I was going to be honest both with myself and the world, Kong was right, it did suck to be me, and I did create this problem for myself. But now I needed to fix it without having to talk to my ex-boyfriend.