1·6

I couldn't get my mind to sit in one place

I couldn't get my mind to sit in one place. All through the night I'd tossed and turned and prayed that when I woke up everything that had happened would just be some wacko dream I had. Maybe even a hallucination. One that occured because I was feeling very guilty about my breakup with James.

And as I shut my eyes last night I really wanted to believe that it was. That James wasn't living a few meters away from me. That he wasn't going to show up any minute and whisk me back into the life I was so difficultly trying to forget.

But I couldn't.

It was almost eight o'clock in the morning. Kong, who was supposed to be on his way to work decided to put me first, and be here when James arrived. I was grateful for his friendship, really, but I hated myself for being such a big burden to him and causing him so much pain. Now because of me, he couldn't be with Pat and he couldn't know the full story of what happened. I was a terrible friend.

That realization made me sulk harder.

Kong walked into the living room, a small bounce to his step. On sighting my figure partly sliding off the couch, he sported a pout and approached me, coming to sit beside me. He let out a sigh.

"You look like a mess," he commented.

I snorted in reply. "I feel like a mess. This," I said motioning to my depressed figure. "Is only an expression of my inner emotions."

"Let's try to look on the bright side at least." He tried sounding convincing, struggling to maintain a smile and ending up looking constipated. "You get a new dress, and free food at the evening party."

I narrowed my glare. "I hate parties and evening gowns. I also hate James."

"I know." He exhaled, giving up and sulking like me on the couch. We faced each other, both pouting. Then Kong smiled, genuinely this time. "I'm sorry all this is happening. If only Adam hadn't come onto you and ruined what you and James had, we wouldn't be here."

I bit my lip feeling terribly guilty. I hadn't been the one to cook up that story actually. Kong drew the conclusion that since I didn't ever want to talk about it, Adam must have come onto me and seduced me into cheating. That was the reason why he took my side. The reason why he broke up with Pat.

And I, being the terrible person I was, didn't correct him and tell him the truth. That nothing had happened. That I'd actually kissed Adam in front of James to make a solid point.

I shook my head and sat up, not wanting to talk about it or even think about it. "I should get mentally prepared for the hectic day I'm about to have. And I think you should too." I took his hand and squeezed. My friend was too loyal to me. "Apologize to Roy for me. This isn't something I can say no to. And if he wants to fire me, then tell him Tasha's only with him because of the favouritism."

That last statement made king chuckle. "I think he knows that already. Besides, if you get laid off, I'll quit too. I only work there because you do, you know."

I couldn't hold back my smile. Such an idiot. "It helps give my life purpose. Plus, with my family's business hanging off the edge, I might actually need the job."

I wouldn't lie, the thought of going bankrupt scared me. Eventually, I wouldn't be able to continue school here and I'd have to change to a completely new environment if the business crashed.

I wasn't sure I was really for such a drastic change. Not to talk of the gossip.

The sound of the doorbell interrupted my thoughts and caused a frown to bloom on my face. He was here. I was kinda hoping he'd magically changed his mind or something.

Kong pulled me to him and planted a kiss on my forehead. "It'll be fine. Just try your best to ignore him today. And smile." He pulled away and gave me a serious look, brows furrowed. "A lot."

"I'll do my best," was my reply but in my head, "my best" was the least I was going to do.

If James wasn't going to let me go easily, then if make him regret considering me for his games.

Kong and I headed for the door together. I was silently happy that he didn't comment on my outfit; jeans and a plain tee. I had zero makeup on, my hair was still in the ponytail I'd put up since last night and my shoes were clad in my most comfortable Crocs. To say the least, this look would make James freak.

I couldn't wait.

But of course, I wasn't excited to see him. I was just excited to see the look of terror on his face when he saw how nonchalant I was about whatever he had planned. I could almost rub my hands in anticipation.

Kong threw the door open, and James was standing there, all smiles and with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. He greeted Kong first with a small nod and then turned to me, holding out the flowers.

His words seemed stuck in his open mouth as he scanned my outfit top to bottom and then rested his gaze on mine. I smirked.

Awful thing though, was the fact that my victory was short lived. Barely two seconds after I'd noticed it, the shock on his expression wore off and he cleared his throat, beaming. Gracious me, at that moment decided it was a good time to gape.

"Not quite what I'd expected, but you still look very stunning. Just like I remember."

I could feel words stumbling in my brain, and if not that is as holding on to Kong, I'd probably have tripped. Twice.

My demeanor didn't go unnoticed of course. James threw me a wink and urged me to take the flowers. I did, no matter how dazed I was. I never really fancied flowers. James knew that. So what was this? And that compliment, I couldn't even begin to describe what it was doing to my-

No. Hell no. This was exactly what he wanted.

I furiously glared at James. This was his plan? To try and woo me? Never in a thousand years. I broke up with him the way I did for a good reason and there was no way I was turning back on my decision. He, however, would be the first to back down. I swore it to myself.

Kong's grip on my hand tightened, a vein in his neck making itself visible as he clenched his teeth. "You take care of her. She's going through too much for any of your stupid games."

James's brows hit the roof as he tried to look innocent. Oh please, I scoffed. "Who said anything about games? This is a perfectly rational agreement. Right, Avery?" he asked, offering me his hand.

I stared at it for a moment, heart racing, mind running way ahead of it. This was a trap, I knew it. But I would turn it against him, whatever he had planned. I just needed to not lose myself. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, right?

I nodded to Kong and took James's hand and just like that, the all too familiar electricity tingled there. We both froze, and for a moment I thought James felt it too. But one look at him, at that smirk on his stupid plush lips, I knew that this wouldn't be easy.

Well then.

I tossed the flowers into the apartment and stepped out to James side. "I'll text you, or call you, as soon as I get there," I told Kong.

His lips fell in a straight line. "Good. Be careful."

James scoffed and started tugging me away. This time, I didn't pull back

Game on.