2·1

The Grants were filthy rich and they knew how to show it

The Grants were filthy rich and they knew how to show it. And by The Grants, I didn't mean James, I meant his parents. Mr. and Mrs. Grant.

The party was already in full swing by the time James and I arrived. Guests laughed and chatted away, pretending to casually show off their achievements or a brand new diamond piece their husbands had gotten them. It was the trend at all the parties. The blinding urge to be better than others.

"Avery," James whispered beside me, a hand around my waist, sending fire dancing across my body. I hummed in response. "You're already causing stares."

I leaned into him. "Of course, we broke up in front of most of these people, don't you remember?" I couldn't forget.

"Yes, we should probably lure them in, shouldn't we?" That had my complete attention as I turned to him.

"Huh?"

He shot me that stupidly charming smile of his and pulled me closer, pressing a firm kiss to my forehead. My insides turned to mush instantly.

That singular action seemed to do the trick. A woman hid her mouth behind her hand as she whispered to the person beside her. Another man at the other end of the room looked away sharply, pretending like he hadn't seen it.

"You're raising gossip," I told James who in turn, laughed, his chest rumbling. It sounded beautiful.

"Don't they always gossip?" He was right.

"Mr Grant!" The cheery voice of Raine Sloan rung out over the sound of her heels clicking against the floor as she headed towards us. Her tight fitting knee length dress, hugged her every curve and made her look even more beautiful. And her platinum blonde hair just complimented everything perfectly because that was all she was about. Perfection.

Boy did she come very very close.

She swirled the champagne her glass, gaze flickering to me beside James. Her smile twitched but she corrected it almost immediately. "Avery."

"Good evening, Raine," James said to her causing her to smile.

"You both look so lovely. And of course, the dress I picked for you compliments you nicely." That last part was said directly to me.

I put on my nicest fake smile and stepped closer to James. "Thank you. You really did a great job."

Raine scoffed, chuckling lightly and giving James a pointed look that had me furrowing my brows. "Don't I always."

James cleared his throat. Wait, what was going on here. I tentatively stepped away from James, still confused as hell. Or at least I tried to. James yanked me back to him with a firmness that I couldn't even stumble. My spine straightened and so did my thoughts. James wasn't mine, whatever he did I had no business in.

But Raine? Really?

"Raine means to say that she takes her job seriously, considering she's my personal stylist." Nope, I did not miss the way he said those words. Like he was reassuring me. Like he could tell how I felt and didn't want me feeling hurt in any way.